• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Tangible ROI in Social Media

Also,can you be more specific on how "they filled out 3 Credit Applications"? Do you mean this was Post engagement, i.e part of the Facebook lead gen funnel funnel? And your leads? Did they come from a post engagement OPt in form or did you use the Facebook Lead Ads and collect leads from FB opt in form and your Facebook page?

Hi All....its cool to see all the feedback and interest, good stuff for our industry and working with Clint was a hell of a lot of fun. In fairness- Clint is far from a "novice". Maybe a novice when it comes to navigating the ins and outs of Facebook's backend- but the man knows how to sell cars, and probably more importantly, he sure as hell knows how to buy them. My purpose for stating this is not to blow smoke, but rather to make a point....technology, social media, etc. isnt what sells cars....people sell cars, and in my opinion that wont ever change. Maybe its me, but it seems like this point gets lost in the mix while having discussions like these. Regardless of the vendor, platform, gizmo or widget- at the end of the day, what protects our business from being "Uber'd" is the fact that what a client wants and needs, more than anything else, is a human being on the other side of the desk to help guide them through what is in reality a complex and expensive decision.

My point is this.... technology helps and social media is without question a worthy pursuit- but at the end of the day, what pays the bills isn't impressions, likes, clicks or leads- its making car deals; and what is most responsible for getting those cars sold and over the curb is people, period.

I guess I will wrap this up with this sentiment....Social Media is without question capable of generating high quality, cost effective leads and embracing its abilities is something that we are all better served by doing...but if anyone comes along and tries selling the notion that Facebook- or any other piece of technology as some magic potion capable of changing the core tenants of what makes this business work...well, then quite frankly- that person is full of sh*t, unqualified to make the statement- or most likely a combination of the two :)

The original question on the original post, referred back to an article in the New York Times, "The Gap Between Auto Dealers and Social Media".

If look at the article, it's clear that they are talking 'organic' posts and it is only at the end that they mention advertising on Facebook. Following this conversation, it seems the consensus here is that Facebook is useful as an advertising platform, but being "Social" with your customers... not so much.

The opening paragraph mentions a Hyundai dealer that dropped the campaign based on the $275 cost, I also called and spoke with the journalist who wrote this piece and he made it real clear that he was referring to paid advertising as well as organic reach- I suspected what you did and wanted to be clear. I've offered to have that guy come out to our dealership three times and he hasn't so much as returned a call- the article was intended as a slight toward us as an industry.

QUOTE="Ed Brooks, post: 41376, member: 764"]The original question on the original post, referred back to an article in the New York Times, "The Gap Between Auto Dealers and Social Media".

If look at the article, it's clear that they are talking 'organic' posts and it is only at the end that they mention advertising on Facebook. Following this conversation, it seems the consensus here is that Facebook is useful as an advertising platform, but being "Social" with your customers... not so much.[/QUOTE]

The opening paragraph mentions a Hyundai dealer that dropped the campaign based on the $275 cost, I also called and spoke with the journalist who wrote this piece and he made it real clear that he was referring to paid advertising as well as organic reach- I suspected what you did and wanted to be clear. I've offered to have that guy come out to our dealership three times and he hasn't so much as returned a call- the article was intended as a slight toward us as an industry.

QUOTE="Ed Brooks, post: 41376, member: 764"]The original question on the original post, referred back to an article in the New York Times, "The Gap Between Auto Dealers and Social Media".

If look at the article, it's clear that they are talking 'organic' posts and it is only at the end that they mention advertising on Facebook. Following this conversation, it seems the consensus here is that Facebook is useful as an advertising platform, but being "Social" with your customers... not so much.
[/QUOTE]
But the $275 expense can't include any paid advertising, right? Here's a link to a video explaining the service that underlies the Hyundai 'Social at Scale' program.

Reactions: Steve Stauning
To Ed's point, I don't think anyone is arguing the merits of Social Media MARKETING. Clearly, placing targeted ads on Facebook is a winner for anyone who does it right - and there is clear and ample ROI evidence to support this.

The issue is that there is only dubious "evidence" of ROI with Social Media MANAGEMENT. This is what Ed was writing about and clearly the direction the original article was taking.

IMO, it's because most people looking to buy a car aren't interested in being converted via Social Media (especially organically). It's not how most people are programmed. They go to Social Media outlets to goof off and release from their daily grind, not look for a car.

Now, you might be able to conquest and influence (RLSA -- Remarketing Lists for Social Ads, type thinking), if they have intent, but that's a greater discussion.

Last year I purchased InfusionSoft for my business. The buying process for me began on Facebook, where I don't spend much time. I clicked on an ad they had placed, watched a brief video, and provided my information. I never left Facebook. This is becoming a more common scenario. I imagine customers scheduling service appointments and test drives in the native Facebook environment if it's available, don't you?

To Ed's point, I don't think anyone is arguing the merits of Social Media MARKETING. Clearly, placing targeted ads on Facebook is a winner for anyone who does it right - and there is clear and ample ROI evidence to support this.

The issue is that there is only dubious "evidence" of ROI with Social Media MANAGEMENT. This is what Ed was writing about and clearly the direction the original article was taking.

At least now we know where all this has to evolve into...verifiable ROI.

Reactions: Steve Stauning