• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Text Us message conversion from Website and VDP?

The results suggest that chasing 'leads' and 'conversion' is a non-productive waste of space.

As @Jeff Kershner has been quoted as saying, "Sure, car shoppers who submit online sales leads are worthy. But their numbers are few...
"Only 3% to 7% of shoppers fill out and submit websites’ form leads, he says at the annual Driving Sales Executive Summit here.
“It’s not that they aren’t important, but we’re so fixated on that 3%, we can forget the 97% who come to the dealership in other ways.”
I wouldn't say chasing leads and conversion measurement is a "waste of space." Too many variables, not enough data and I've never seen 97% documented, would love to see verifiable data on that number. Obviously, there are plenty of reasons that bring in a potential buyer and the means in which a customer is retained is an art as well, plus everyone is different. There's no doubt it should be a combination of both traditional and digital marketing. I'm a big believer (based upon measurement) in that services which convert with one demographic location don't always in another.

Dealers that ignore what fails to convert, yet still pay for it are uncoordinated and sloppy. AutoTrader, Cars.com, poorly executed AdWords (paid search, display and pre-roll) service or maintenance, coupled with a piss poor, unusable website presence / platform come to mind etc., etc.

Last edited:
Handy tool when doing Performance Analysis:

"Best-of-class websites can't outperform without best-of-class leaders driving the UX (online & offline)."

A great UI allows shoppers to easily explore and become smarter, and, it gives Dealers the freedom needed to tell their story.

#WINWIN

Handy tool when doing Performance Analysis:

"Best-of-class websites can't outperform without best-of-class leaders driving the UX (online & offline)."

A great UI allows shoppers to easily explore and become smarter, and, it gives Dealers the freedom needed to tell their story.

#WINWIN
This is a fact. Scientifically optimize your profits, but have competent people running the program.

Conversion rate and conversion rate optimization are vital... for eCommerce!
no%20ecommerce.png

Conversion rate optimization (CRO) is the process of optimizing your sponsored search ads, landing pages, and overall website design to raise your conversion rate. In other words, the goal is for the highest possible percentage of visitors to your site to convert, or complete your desired action.

CRO is not necessarily pigeonholed for E-commerce per se. Completing a desired action can be a number of things, such as a phone call, a lead submission form, exposure to additional content, etc. It could be signing up for an email newsletter, creating an account with a login and password, making a purchase, downloading your app, or something else entirely.

Whatever it is you want your visitors to do, this action is what you are going to measure and what you are looking to optimize. Coincidentally, that has a ton to do with the entire point of this thread. It's essentially using data and user feedback to improve the performance of your website. That is absolutely part of automotive marketing processes and strategy, call it what you will.

Last edited:
Bill,
Any update? Can you breakout txt requests by SRP vs VDP? Any breakout of mobile vs non-mobile?

Upon further review, I found that our "Text Us" option was not displaying on our VDP correctly. Though it has been prominent on our SRP, that may have skewed our results. I'm having that fixed now and will update in 30 days to let you know if there's an increase.

Bill,
Any update? Can you breakout txt requests by SRP vs VDP? Any breakout of mobile vs non-mobile?
Wow, if that's the case and you're unable to use a tool ubiquitously (across all devices, views, pages, etc.), I would dump it and quickly. Looks like they didn't account for dealers performing their own "CONVERSION RATE OPTIMIZATION" or measurements to hold their tool accountable, did they?

My $0.02

Texting is a Dealer Experience Improvement Tool, not lead gen.

Summary:
Texting is highly personal. It opens a door into the user's life that most folks don't want to open (in our space). From this observation, it's easy to conclude that text volume should be low.

That being said, texting may be a high value tool if the shopper 'opts in' and wishes to become visible. IOW, Texting is a cool option AFTER I submit a form (finance form or a trade-in form or a service form, etc).

HTH
-Uncle Joe

p.s. I believe that most leads come from a poor website experience. Texting breaks anonymity, so texting isn't what uncommitted shoppers want.

Wow, if that's the case...I would dump it and quickly. Looks like they didn't account _____ did they?

Dude. Love your enthusiasm, but take a deep breath and re-read that post.

When I was your age, a wise ol' man told me :unclejoe:.... "God gave you 7 holes in your head, give the other 6 a chance to save your ass."

It's best advice I ever got, it's still with me 4 decades later.

HTH
-Uncle Joe

Reactions: skutchhenks