• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

TAKE POLL Texting with customers often?

I still have my Google voice number. @Alex Snyder there are a few phone tracking services that will allow you to keep those numbers even if you leave their service. I believe Century Imteractive is one of those. @MikeHaeg

Correct me if I'm wrong, if you're using Google voice on iOS you do not have MMS capabilities.

You are not wrong, no MMS with Google Voice.

Initial contact is done by a manager at our stores through the textstr app, once the conversation turns into a lead or a larger conversation we pass it off to a sales rep. At one of the stores we only pass them off to a couple reps that are more on the tech savvy side. I have noticed if a sales person is not up to date on technology, at least somewhat, the conversations end abruptly with little to no retention.

Previous leads or customers end up texting with their sales person directly on the reps personal mobile.

Very interesting conversation. Ironically I am covering almost the same topic in my webinar tomorrow but with a twist.

I believe F&I would benefit from text messaging get involved earlier in the process perhaps when the customer is fishing for financing terms on the dealership website- assist the customer obtain financing- and is another way to build trust-with the mobile customer-it's on their time- the last thing F&I wants- is to lose business to a competitor no different than sales-parts or service.

I found that ZipWhip is the answer. ZipWhip will turn land lines "live"! The dealer can control the leads which in my opinion belong to the dealer and protect against liability. In fact some sales associates prefer the customer didn't have their personal cell phone numbers. Each leads goes to the appropriate associate and is logged and tracked. In fact each line can be designated accordingly. Check it out!

A company with which a consumer has an established business relationship may call for up to 18 months after the consumer’s last purchase or last delivery, or last payment, unless the consumer asks the company not to call again. If a consumer makes an inquiry or submits an application to a company, the company can call for three months!

Reactions: Jeff Kershner
Rebecca, thanks for sharing your find - ZipWhip. I was checking it out and it looks like a decent solution. I'm not sure how the "throttling" found in the lower price package would effect efficiency (3 messages a minute).

Feel free to post your webinar information over in the webinars category - http://forum.dealerrefresh.com/forums/industry-news-resources-webinars-leadership.68/

I would be interested in seeing some data around leveraging text within the F&I department...

I don't have any data to support my opinion regarding F&I getting involved earlier on in the process- but whenever F&I does get involved earlier in the process (which I often did) it always benefited.

Today's customers are shopping online not only for cars but F&I wouldn't it make sense to reach them prior to them coming into the dealership with a check make out for the exact amount or coming into the dealership being landed on a vehicle they simply can't budget or qualify for?

I realize my idea is stepping on toes and many F&I people do not want to discuss financing arrangements on the phone or texting- this is out of the question- but I remember when we implemented menu selling it was if I had three heads- no different.

Thanks! It's great to part of your forum! Thank you for allowing me to post the webinar!

Twilio does SMS, MMS and even calls now.
We built our dealerships a tool on top of this platform that allows them to each have a dedicated SMS number, a mobile website to reply, contact books, etc. The whole thing is controlled by the dealership for the future, can integrate with the CMS, etc. This way they can use their phones, have a dedicated number, MMS, SMS, etc.. but we own the phone number and the contacts and the contact logs. We can also correlate those DMS numbers with the ones from the CRM to ensure that activities are tracked against that customer.

Reactions: Alex Snyder
There are 3 threads around this topic:
1) Dealership oversight – you need some type of (LMS) lead management system for Text so that the conversation can be monitored and stored in a central location and remains the dealership's property, not residing on the salespersons personal phone.

2) Allowing consumers to initiate the text – have “Text Us” buttons dealership websites, particularly on VDP inventory and lead forms and utilize key words and short codes on ALL marketing messages. You are already spending the money on print, TV, radio, banners etc. – just add key word and short codes. You can also use your vanity dealership phone numbers for Text “Call or Text us at xxx-xxx-xxxx”. Consumer initiated Text also assists with any legal compliance opt in requirements.

3) Guidance on TCPA – have a LMS that will store permissions and will automatically lock out further texting if the consumer opts-out.

Many of the options mentioned here may cover portions of these issues but not all three.

There are 3 threads around this topic:
1) Dealership oversight – you need some type of (LMS) lead management system for Text so that the conversation can be monitored and stored in a central location and remains the dealership's property, not residing on the salespersons personal phone.
2) Allowing consumers to initiate the text – have “Text Us” buttons dealership websites, particularly on VDP inventory and lead forms and utilize key words and short codes on ALL marketing messages. You are already spending the money on print, TV, radio, banners etc. – just add key word and short codes. You can also use your vanity dealership phone numbers for Text “Call or Text us at xxx-xxx-xxxx”. Consumer initiated Text also assists with any legal compliance opt in requirements.
3) Guidance on TCPA – have a LMS that will store permissions and will automatically lock out further texting if the consumer opts-out.

Many of the options mentioned here may cover portions of these issues but not all three.

Are there specific privacy issues surrounding a text message as opposed to a telephone call? I was under the impression that if a customer initiated first contact, that we were within the boundaries of any regulations regarding contacting this customer no matter what the means.

If a customer comes into my store, and gives me their email address, home phone number, or cell phone number, is it a violation for me to send this customer a text message? What about an email?

Thank you for posting.

Clint

About a year ago I setup our receptionist with AIM on her desktop. It allowed her to quickly text someone in the dealership if they had a customer. Since all she had to do was type in their 10 digi number and send the message. This has worked so well that I started using with a few of our BDC to send texts from their desktops as well.

Are there specific privacy issues surrounding a text message as opposed to a telephone call? I was under the impression that if a customer initiated first contact, that we were within the boundaries of any regulations regarding contacting this customer no matter what the means.

If a customer comes into my store, and gives me their email address, home phone number, or cell phone number, is it a violation for me to send this customer a text message? What about an email?

Thank you for posting.

Clint
Clint, We are not in a position to give you legal advice and you should consult with your attorney for specific advice regarding your question. There are many interpretations of the regulations that the courts have not clearly ruled on yet.

With that said we feel it is best to err on the safe side. A consumer that just gives you contact information is not necessarily granting the required permission to receive a text or a phone call, particularly for marketing purposes beyond the specific information requested by the consumer. If a consumer sends you a text, you should be able to reply to the consumer but in your first response should get the consumer’s affirmative confirmation that the consumer is consenting to additional text or telephone communications.

You should also inform the consumer that fees and rates may apply along with how to get help or cease future communications. If a consumer gives you a phone number (mobile or not), unless they know that you are going to use that information for future marketing activities and give permission for you to contact them via phone or text, you could be in violation of applicable laws, rules or regulations. It is best to always get permission that complies with applicable laws, rules and regulations and store that permission as required.