• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

The buzz of NADA

like Jesse said salesmen taking their customers to their next job.

That's exactly what will happen if salespeople use their own personal facebook accounts and invite customers to become friends.

That's why I suggest to dealers that they have a facebook policy and create an employee facebook account for the rep and they control the rights to that employee page. Salesperson leaves, we assign it to a new salesperson and have them take over.

... I bet most salespeople spend at least 50% of the day doing absolutely nothing productive. Why do you think that happens? It's because managers allow them to get away with this behavior. Managers just strap themselves in and wait for the reps to bring them offers. ... This is going to inspire me to write an article on hiring salespeople. I'll try and find some time to do that this week or next.

This thread is really getting interesting, a classic DR thread for sure!

Jerry and Alex's reply has NAILED the root cause of why there is this inability to move forward. It's the culture and management of our industry, and it's habits are decades deep. Hiring new faces is not a solution. For real change to happen, it requires a complete buy-in at the TOP of the organization. Without a commitment from the top, there is no change...period. (and this is why Alex at Checkered Flag is pioneering internet content!)

Last edited:
Jesse,

I am going to have to disagree with you on this one. Auto salespeople are their own little business within a business. Those who treat it that way are very successful. Most of the people I know do not get paid unless they sell something. If I can teach a guy how to sell 20 cars a month and build a nice book of business, there would be no reason for that person to jump ship. Happy productive salespeople tend to stay put.

Now is everyone going to take the time to manager their own content, probably not, but why would I hurt the guy/gal that might do it and make a better life for himself/herself? Personally I would make it a part of ones daily job expectations. Every customer gets a delivery picture or video and the salesperson would be expected to use that in their testimonials page on their own website. They would also be expected to load stuff like this on their page when responding to Internet leads: Personal message for Jesse That took me ten minutes to make.

There's so much more we can all be doing, those who settle for just getting by will be nothing more than average.
Jerry,

I agree with you and disagree at the same time.

First: The link you sent me is a great way for dealers to reply to a lead. The only problem being the % of shoppers that shop from work and don't want sound. I like your product.

Second: I don't believe your product (the video I saw) has anything to do with a sales person having their own page. Perhaps I missed something but it seems even though it's sent from the sales person and shows the sales person's face; it's a link to the dealer's page and the dealer is in control.

Third: I have no idea why dealers to things the way they do. Each are their own experts. Those of us making money in the business just help them do what they already do better and faster.

Fourth: Someday I hope to own a dealership so that I can do things my way ;-)

--Jesse Biter
CEO / HomeNet, Inc.

First: The link you sent me is a great way for dealers to reply to a lead. The only problem being the % of shoppers that shop from work and don't want sound. I like your product.

Then I should probably have the reps notify the customers that the special message includes sound. Sound is a key part of the delivery. Have you ever been trained in NLP?

Second: I don't believe your product (the video I saw) has anything to do with a sales person having their own page.

They have to have a place to house the video. It would also be nice to let the salesperson have their own testimonials page. When I sold I used to keep this big binder on my desk with all the pictures and letters from my happy customers, putting it on my own website is taking it a step further. If I was selling today I'd have my own Wordpress site and would become my own little business within a business.

Fourth: Someday I hope to own a dealership so that I can do things my way

I know of a dealer group for sale in my backyard. If you have a spare 75 million I'll hook you up.