• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

The Email Survey

Apr 16, 2009
Awards
First Name
Blake
I'm interested in seeing what you all think....you send a survey to customers asking them to rate there experience with your BDC ... but is it necessary?

I'm starting to wonder if customers are just seeing it as another frick'n email flooding there inbox...(I know I do.)

I want the information but at what expense...I don't ever want customers to look in their inbox and think damn another email from Arbogast!

Are surveys a bullshit email or are vital to our success?

Along these same lines I attended an Internet managers bootcamp where we were told 30 days 30 emails. Honestly if you email me more than about 1time a week (maybe two) you have hit annoying and I put you on junk mail status. Do you think our customers are as quick to label us junk mail?

I ran surveys back in the day with little to no results that gave me no honest picture of what was going on. Maybe if you are a higher volume store and you had enough people filling out the survey, you might eventually get something that you could base some strategic action on.

If you want to increase your response rate to surveys, you might want to consider out sourceing it through a company like Vital Insight Group OR build your own survey using another email/survey provider and only hit the customer after the purchase or 1 time after no purchase or contact. Have the survey look as if it's coming from a 3rd party or manufacture and don't use your own email address. It has to be professional and ask the RIGHT questions.

Mercedes-Benz went completely paperless a few years back with their CSI surveys and continues to use Vital Insight Group with success.

TIP: I saw a huge climb in survey emails when I sent survey/support emails from an email like customercare@ OR mercedescare@ hondacare@ you get the picture...

An email a day for 30 days, I too find to be a little much...however, it's what you are saying, how you're saying it and what information you are providing to the customer that determines whether or not they will continue to read your emails or hit the delete button.

I wrote an article on DR about a year ago that drills into AIUA 4 Letters That Will Sell You More Cars This Month Attention, Interest, Urgency, Action that when followed..can make a difference in you email response rate.

Sorry to go off subject a little there but it's all about getting your emails read, personal email, marketing emails or even a survey.

In my past position as a trainer with iMagicLab, I have had a lot of experience setting up surveys for dealers and I can tell that the are a very valuable tool. Often customers will provide the dealer with some really good information as to how to close them.

Simple questions such as:
- Are you still in the market for a [make] [model]?
- What is your purchase time frame?
- Do you need more information regarding financing or a trade in?
- What could we do to improve our service to you?

You would be amazed at the feedback customers will provide. I would recommend sending a specific survey to walk-in customers, Internet customers and phone-ups. I would not bother sending them to sold customers since you would not want the customer to think they were filling out a manufacturer survey, thus ignoring the real one.

When sending out surveys, it's best if you make them look like they are coming from a third party. I found that this method produced a higher response rate.