• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

The end of ADF via Email is upon us

So here is a question that we have been talking about. We use a software solution to parse emails and then send them on to the CRM. Once the data gets into our hands, the data is secure. We encrypt everything between the email parse and the CRM.

At what point does the burden of responsibility fall on us? If Cars, Car Gurus, Autotrader etc. doesn't secure the data sent to our email parsing platform, does that fall on me, or am I only responsible for the data once it is in my hands? My understanding is that it is on me all the way upstream, but I don't know how to guarantee the safety of the data before it gets to me. I understand the bottom line is that Safeguards will say "if they don't comply then don't do business with them". Ya right.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: craigh
So here is a question that we have been talking about. We use a software solution to parse emails and then send them on to the CRM. Once the data gets into our hands, the data is secure. We encrypt everything between the email parse and the CRM.

At what point does the burden of responsibility fall on us? If Cars, Car Gurus, Autotrader etc. doesn't secure the data sent to our email parsing platform, does that fall on me, or am I only responsible for the data once it is in my hands? My understanding is that it is on me all the way upstream, but I don't know how to guarantee the safety of the data before it gets to me. I understand the bottom line is that Safeguards will say "if they don't comply then don't do business with them". Ya right.
I think (or at least hope) for the most part, the FTC will go after flagrant offenders before they target someone taking the right steps and implementing measures toward protecting sensitive consumer data.

But I could be naive, this is the US Government we are talking about.

Reactions: Tallcool1
I think (or at least hope) for the most part, the FTC will go after flagrant offenders before they target someone taking the right steps and implementing measures toward protecting sensitive consumer data.

This is what I am hoping for as well.

I see this as a great big "Cover Your Own Ass" deal. I understand that at its core this is a good thing and is ultimately being done to help the consumer. I am fine with that. My issue is that the US Government can't even protect its own fucking data and systems and they are handing down these monumentally challenging rules to all of us!

Without a doubt, future lawsuits will provide the clarity missing right now. In America, "This is the way."

Reactions: Ryan Everson
I won't name any names, but let's just say I'm most curious to see how this impacts those vendors who are known for retrieving data for vendors.
Something as simple as exporting a CSV from Reynolds with customer data, transporting it to some sort of secure vault, then transferring that data again to a third-party vendor, who imports it into their system. Even if this entire process is automated and done via encrypted FTP or SSL protected APIs, there are still multiple points where the customer data is plain text.

Generally speaking, are customer list exports compliant at all?

Elead reached out to me and mentioned that they are ditching ADF at the end of the year. I think everyone is going to force the API. Once we have more guidance I think it will happen pretty quickly.

It's going to be like the mad scramble before your parents get home to clean your bedroom as a kid.

Reactions: Tallcool1
Elead reached out to me and mentioned that they are ditching ADF at the end of the year. I think everyone is going to force the API. Once we have more guidance I think it will happen pretty quickly.

It's going to be like the mad scramble before your parents get home to clean your bedroom as a kid.
Wonder what they are going to do when some of the 3rd Party Listing sites say that they won't change? What if Cars . com (as an example) says that they don't want to build out api, and that they will continue to send lead data via ADF, or their client can manually enter the data into their CRM? Or do all of these vendors already have an api built?

What about Facebook?

Hopefully Elead doesn't end up losing clients because of this?