• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

The Ultimate VDP Thread - Metrics, Ideas, Design, and everything VDPs

Most consumers are going through their 3rd, 4th, 6th purchase while using the dealership website as a shopping tool. At one point or another most have responded (more than once) to the like call-to-actions, ONLY to find the process was NO different - the experience was the same (if not worse).

This is a really good point and it's something I've definitely overlooked. These people might be on their 2nd or 3rd time around, and expect the sales experience online to be better because their experience with other online purchases have improved over time. When I think about it more, it's not only the call to actions that are dated, I think it's the actual features of the website that have been somewhat stagnant relative to other industries.

It's unlikely they received a real price quote after giving up their information. Instead they were called and emailed over and over with no real answer to their questions.

This is frustrating. I was in a unique position this year that I actually bought 2 new cars in the same year (gas guzzler to fuel efficient). It was interesting to see how different dealers behave and ultimately the style in how they were managed. But I remember going through the same process several times (call to get info, CSR reads info from same website). Tell dealer I'm no longer in the market, still get called for the next 6 months.

In this case, I blame the CSR's more, as I feel they're more or less regurgitating the same info on the website while trying to set an appointment (which I get is their job to do). But it's still frustrating that they couldn't tell me more detailed information than was available online.

By my next time around, I hope to at least start the purchase online, provide my info, line up financing, and be provided a checklist of how the sale process will go from there. And be provided with more detailed information when I do need to reach out...