• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

TrueCar using Zag Dealer Data to Create Value???

What info does anyone have on TrueCar and DealerTrack getting into bed together? I am look at Dt for my DMS, but hearing DT made a substantial investment in TC is putting the brakes on my decision right now.
"...in consideration for the sale of ALG, DealerTrack will receive a 15.0 percent equity interest in TrueCar and warrants to increase its ownership interest to up to 19.9 percent. As part of the transaction, DealerTrack will have the limited right to appoint a director to TrueCar's Board."
Link

Those of you needing a good closing tool to sell against TrueCar, well here it is:
TrueCar Scam - YouTube

Jerry, I know I'm new here but I have been lurking for a while. I watched your video and one thing you said kind of touched a nerve. You advise people not to trust dealers that are on this program. That they are all shady. I don't think that's a fair blanket to cast. We were on the program when it was just Zag and we were the only local dealer in the area affiliated with it. It was nice to get the extra leads and sell an extra 5-7 cars a month. We would get people from Fort Drum (Watertown), that we wouldn't have gotten otherwise. We don't price our vehicle thousands under invoice like you claim. Heck, I think all of our prices are above invoice. It's just another venue for us to get more opportunity. BTW, I know we were one of the stores that you mystery shopped during your investigation. How was our process? Did you feel cheated? Any input is welcomed. Thanks and I look forward to being a contributing member to this site.

Ok, so it's been awhile since I've been on DR due to the busy world of the car biz, but I was told about the uproar of TrueCar on DR by an associate and I couldn't help but disagree at all angles. Maybe I'm coming in a bit late to the "I hate TrueCar battle". Nonetheless, here I go ...

I'll make these statements:
- I never felt mislead by Zag. They came in our dealership and let us know exactly how the system worked.
- I think it's a great system for the dealer.
- I think it's great for the consumer
- I have 0 complaints with TrueCar

The way I see it is that they were smart enough to create a system that is very beneficial to the consumer. We get a ton of leads from TrueCar each month - More than any vendor. The dealer should reap the benefits of the traffic and become smart enough to take advantage of what the product can offer.

Why is this a problem? If we have the car in stock that they want. We sell it, if not, maybe we ship one in - or maybe we sell them another one. Worst case scenerio is - We lose them.

Why is everybody freaking out about them?
- They are giving the consumer rock bottom pricing.
... Who cares? Take a shot or make it up in finance!

- They are advertising you have a car that you don't have on the lot.
... So what! Let them know you don't have the car on the lot, but you will get one for them. Or something VERY similar.

Obviously, just my two cents and maybe I'm way out of the ballpark here and might start some forum debating, but I think I'm ready for it.

For now, I'm a TrueCar/Zag supporter. Convince me otherwise!