• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

TrueCar's New Write Off Policy

Nov 4, 2012
First Name
Jessica
TrueCar-300x147.png

TrueCar: Changing How Cars Are Sold

That's for sure, but are they doing it with your best interest in mind?

Recently, Joe Webb wrote an article about a quiet policy change being rolled out that will drastically change the way they do business with dealerships. As of September 1, 2013, according to the article, TrueCar will change the way you can request write offs.

Let's hear your opinion!

Have you received similar notice?
What are your thoughts about their customers being "deep in the funnel and eliminating write offs?
Is this the beginning of the end for TrueCar?

Reactions: 1 person
Im in a "non pay-per-sale" area and TrueCar just raised our monthly fee $300 a month for the next quarter

Debating on canceling it now because they will not work with you in regards to price.

I would love to hear what other dealers are doing

I have never changed my feelings for TrueCar from day one and I will always feel the same way about this company. They are scum and add no value to the dealer world. They want to transform the way people buy cars at the expense of the dealer. The more money they make from dealers, the more they spend in advertising. The more they spend on advertising, the more they extract from dealers. It's a vicious cycle!

Hate to say I told you so, but...

http://forum.dealerrefresh.com/f46/feedback-dealers-using-truecar-3019-3.html#post27186

http://forum.dealerrefresh.com/f46/feedback-dealers-using-truecar-3019-3.html#post27186

AND ONE OF MY FAVORITES!
http://forum.dealerrefresh.com/f40/does-truecar-deserve-second-chance-2772.html#post24810

And of course we know they executed this strategy flawlessly!
http://forum.dealerrefresh.com/f40/does-truecar-deserve-second-chance-2772.html#post24812

We need to kill this beast once and for all!

Reactions: 2 people
I have been bombarded with emails from dealers since I originally posted about this. Simply put, even after conversations with the TrueCar brass, I don't think they have any intent to change this vendor-centric policy. I've been copied on well over 20 emails regarding cancellations (and those aren't from my own DealerKnows clients) as well as over 100 dealers saying they intend to cancel the moment it takes effect.

One large group of over 25 stores had a proposal from TrueCar on their desks ready to sign and said they shredded it solely because of this policy. Nothing like the benefit of perfect timing.

Reactions: 2 people
Cancelled my account this morning. When they made their "autopsy call" they asked "is this related to our new write off policy?".

He brought it up without my mentioning it so it sounds like they are getting a lot of cancellations because of this.

I brought this to my Internet Manager's attention this morning and she is highly considering taking us offline once this goes into affect. I don't understand how truecar is still proceeding with the new write off policy, considering the number of dealers that unsubscribed within the last 24 hours. 13 franchises within our Auto Group have been signed-on truecar for the last two years. It's going to hurt big time when they loose clients like such as our auto group for example and they'd be stupid if they do revise the policy.

For the last 3 years I've been doing Internet Sales at the Manfredi Auto Group and to be honest, I'm happy that our dealer is possibly unsubscribing. Before we started using truecar, I made my daily phone calls at a comfortable pace and finished way before my 8 hour shift was over;this allowed me to do other work around the office such as update the sold board. My daily phone calls have more than tripled since we took on truecar and I have to work an 11-hour day if I want to come close to finishing my work. I wouldn't complain if we were getting overloaded with great-quality leads, but truecar leads are far from that. A majority of them have bad contact information, are too far from the dealership or are getting an impossible truecar price elsewhere. My favorite is when TRUECAR allows the customer to build and be quoted on a trim that doesn't exists......ppphahaha.

At the same time, this can be a good oppertunity for certain dealerships. Lets say I owned a dealership and noticed that a majority of my competitors have unsubscribed from truecar, then I would think more than twice before unsubscribing. Would it be worth staying online?

Last edited: