• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Uncle Joe's Makeover Diary 2.0

I prefer simple, almost to a fault. Is this one CTA or is it three?

Amen on the simple Rob!
Shopping is a task, it has a beginning and an end. I am a student of the "job to be done" framework (JTBD)*. In this light I am seeking friction that may keep a user from taking action.

In this case it's "Check Availability". Clearly this CTA is a HOT BUYING SIGNAL and finding and reducing friction around this CTA should pay big dividends.

This mock is ONE CTA with 3 communication choices. Email - Chat - Text. Will this raise CTA rates? IDK.

Maybe the CTA should default to Podium text widget? Hmmm... I like that idea Rob!

*The jobs to be done (JTBD) framework helps product teams discover what people are trying to accomplish when using your product. It's a way to structure your discovery efforts around identifying outcomes and problems rather than features and solutions.

Amen on the simple Rob!
Shopping is a task, it has a beginning and an end. I am a student of the "job to be done" framework (JTBD)*. In this light I am seeking friction that may keep a user from taking action.

In this case it's "Check Availability". Clearly this CTA is a HOT BUYING SIGNAL and finding and reducing friction around this CTA should pay big dividends.

This mock is ONE CTA with 3 communication choices. Email - Chat - Text. Will this raise CTA rates? IDK.

Maybe the CTA should default to Podium text widget? Hmmm... I like that idea Rob!

*The jobs to be done (JTBD) framework helps product teams discover what people are trying to accomplish when using your product. It's a way to structure your discovery efforts around identifying outcomes and problems rather than features and solutions.
Phone > Texting > Email for our store.

I would hide chat on mobile (as long as it's truly chat and not a hybrid). Texting trumps chat IMO all day long on most platforms.

My ideal texting workflow - customer fills out a quick lead form with just name and phone number which sends the lead / vehicle info into the CRM. At the same time, the form redirects the customer to the texting / messages app on their phone to send a pre-filled text with vehicle info to the dealership, which comes into the CRM under the customer record that was just created. Since we text our customers out of our CRM, everything would be seamless (with the same texting number we use out our CRM) and the communications records would be in our CRM.

For phone calls on mobile device, click to call is perfect. For desktop, just show the phone number and they can dial it themselves, or if you would want to be more advanced, give the customer the ability to put in their phone number and it calls the customer and then connects them with the dealership sales line.

Incorporating your time element - email = same day, texting = under 30 mins, phone call = now - you can skew these times to push more customers towards a certain medium that you close best. Plus it sets expectations for them on when you'll hear back.

** Not how we have it set up, but this would be my preferred set up if we could make this happen.

Reactions: joe.pistell
Used Car Bubble?? TL;DR

Between 2019 and 2022, used cars increased by $10,000, new cars increased by $9,200. But, this is more important.
New car price increase percentage = 25.0%
Used car price increase percentage = 48.5%

The used car market NEEDS to show a discount from new. We see new car supply ticking upward, and we can see a sluggish economy dampening demand. Will the OEMs revert to pre-covid incentive-ing?

• 2019:New: $36,400 Used: $20,800
    • used is 43% less than new (-$15,600)
  • 2022:New: $45,600 Used: $30,800
    • used is 33% less than new (-14,800)
What would the 2022 Used Car Prices need to be to be 43% less than 2022 new car prices? $26,368. That's $4430 less than July 2022**

What happens to UC prices when the OEMs start cranking up big discounts, rebates and more?
The NADA report (above)** was mid year 2022, UC prices have fallen. As of Dec 15th, the manheim UC index* is -10% from mid year. If that -10% manheim index fall correlates 1:1 to the NADA's RETAIL prices stats, then the $30,800 Used car retail prices need to be -$3100 less than in July and possibly, the used car correction may be mostly priced in.

*https://publish.manheim.com/content/dam/consulting/ManheimUsedVehicleValueIndex-WebTable.png
**NADA Data

For fun, I copy/pasted this rply above into ChatGPT (AI). I asked the AI to improve this reply...

"The used car market is seeing a significant increase in prices between 2019 and 2022, with a percentage increase of 48.5%. In comparison, new car prices have increased by 25%. It is typical for used car prices to be lower than new car prices, and in 2019 the difference was 43%, with used cars costing $15,600 less than new cars. However, in 2022 the difference has decreased to 33%, with used cars costing $14,800 less than new cars. To return to the typical difference of 43%, used car prices in 2022 would need to be $26,368, which is $4,430 less than the current prices in July 2022. It is possible that as new car manufacturers offer discounts and rebates, the prices of used cars may also decrease. According to the NADA report and the Manheim used car index, used car prices have already fallen by 10% from mid-year. If this decrease in prices is reflected in retail prices, used car prices would need to be $3,100 less than in July. It appears that the correction in used car prices may already be reflected in current prices."

Reactions: craigh
A dozen years ago, I was the 'Uncle Joe' of the group, but now I get to sit back and chuckle as all the young bucks here get surrounded by even YOUNGER players.

Ah, the joys of aging! But let me tell you, my dear friends, aging is not so bad. Sure, you may have a few more wrinkles and aches and pains, but you also gain wisdom and experience. So welcome to the club, my fellow old-timers! Let's raise a glass to our age and the memories we've made along the way.

1673447868017.png

Theme & outline by me, text written by ChatGPT3.

A dozen years ago, I was the 'Uncle Joe' of the group, but now I get to sit back and chuckle as all the young bucks here get surrounded by even YOUNGER players.

Ah, the joys of aging! But let me tell you, my dear friends, aging is not so bad. Sure, you may have a few more wrinkles and aches and pains, but you also gain wisdom and experience. So welcome to the club, my fellow old-timers! Let's raise a glass to our age and the memories we've made along the way.

View attachment 7679

Theme & outline by me, text written by ChatGPT3.
I got my start in the automotive retail industry at the age of 13, working at my family's used car lot in Flint, Michigan. Then I started working at Garber when I was 21 after going to Northwood University for automotive marketing. Now I'm 32, which I used to consider ancient!

Time to start going by Uncle Ryan and Grandpa Joe instead? :)