• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Uncle Joe's Makeover Diary 2.0

I honestly prefer the before, but I have discovered there's something to be said about using ugly ads as a way to create a pattern interrupt and stop the scroll.

For example, I've been seeing better results from less polished facebook ads.

Ryan,
I am going to exaggerate the auto marketplace SRP as I see it:
1716226417254.png
I am a merchant. Every marketplace I look I see listings that look identical. Creative merchandiser's see this as an opportunity.

---Retailing is a zero sum game (i.e. my sale takes share away from my competitors)---

Merchandising is a weapon to take share, and, Merchandising is ART with a strategy and a desired outcome. How you define your "ART with a strategy and a desired outcome" is different than mine, and together we make a market filled with choices. :)

Reactions: Rob
Ryan,
I am going to exaggerate the auto marketplace SRP as I see it:
View attachment 8884
I am a merchant. Every marketplace I look I see listings that look identical. Creative merchandiser's see this as an opportunity.

---Retailing is a zero sum game (i.e. my sale takes share away from my competitors)---

Merchandising is a weapon to take share, and, Merchandising is ART with a strategy and a desired outcome. How you define your "ART with a strategy and a desired outcome" is different than mine, and together we make a market filled with choices. :)
There's no doubt about it, real photos with or without text overlays are always better than stock images.

PS: I'm saying even though I don't personally prefer the aesthetics of your art, I agree it works as a pattern interrupt to stand out and therefore generates results.

Last edited:
real photos with or without text overlays are always better than stock images.

In the mock of Silverados (above), I used stock shots to represent the 'sameness' of SRP listings (from a shoppers POV).

This is what I am referring to:
1716290675590.png
1716290694777.png
They all look alike, so the shopper scans price and miles. The car shopper has a small window of time and they 'pogo-stick' from SRP-to-VDP-to-SRP-to-VDP. Price & Deal Buckets drive CTR.

From my POV, Merchandising strategy is to differentiate the VIN and the Dealer ---AND-- create a UX that assists the shopper's task.

I spent 3 weeks completely immersed in the world of Youtube thumbnail strategy and best practices.
1716291179245.png
My intent was not to emulate this thumbnail work 1:1, but to understand its framework, then, map that back to auto-retail.

1716292271212.png
My Strategy: "differentiate the VIN and the Dealer ---AND-- create a UX that assists the shopper's task"

Last edited: