• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Vendor Tactics that make you go WTF

However it is not easy for me or for the vendors that call on me, to find alternative ways to reach out and try to grow the business.

I try to remain calm nowadays when I get solicited and I remind myself that the guy on the other side is just trying to earn a living and make the best of his day to go home to his family with something to show for.

Yag, being in sales it is tough to get in front of people sometimes, but I disagree with your first sentence actually. If you have a good product that has solid results, then ask for the appointment, simply be yourself and demonstrate your products and solutions to dealers honestly and without gimmicks. I think that wins more credibility than anything with level headed thinking dealers.

Great post, I'm a vendor and choose not to market our program using email, word of mouth is the best way to build a solid book of clients. I don't think you will ever get a call from us unless you were referred to look at our program. Great post, I was on Facebook and the post "Vendor Tactics that make you go WTF" lead me here.
It was fun to read.

Manny Luna

Welcome to DR Manny, have see your name in a few places. I have to agree with you on your comments.

Eley, great rant! You deserves a reward. Please pick out a prize: Trade Show Giveaways, Trade Show Apparel, Tradeshow Giveaways

Can I get a Phone Ninja's squishy stress ball with your picture on one side? Or what about Phone Ninja golf balls? When you are this way this spring we need to play a round, actually you play and I'll hack at it and drink beer.

I will have to play Devil's advocate here...

Do you know why vendors give away gifts? - Because it works.

Do you know why vendors throw lavish parties? - Because it works

Do you know why email companies use crazy subject lines? - Because it works

While we don't like many of the tactics used in the marketplace, the reason they are there is that they bring results.

Did you receive a gift? What do you feel in return? I should give them something back. It's called the law of reciprocity...

Did you enjoy the party? Do you feel like you have more of a relationship with the vendor now that you talked over a few drinks? Maybe now you will "like and trust" them more so as to make that decision to buy.

Did that subject line catch your attention? Did you open the email? You did - while a more accurate, yet boring subject line would never have been opened.

I am not saying you necessarily respond to any or all of these tactics, but a lot of people do, and that is why they have been part of sales for so long.

And being in the car business, where we have "gifts" for folks that show up for supersales, where we have email campaigns with catchy subject lines, and where we have "new car release" parties at our showrooms, I would feel hypocritical ripping on our vendor friends... Just some food for thought for all of us, including myself!

Kevin, I agree with everything you have said and you always bring up solid points. My Mom has taught me over the years a valuable lesson that I take through life; 'it's not what you say or do, its how you say it or do it'.

My rant about this vendors email was based on their approach. If you sent out an email with that kind of subject line from one of your stores, what would be the response? So why should we think any differently towards a vendors subject, we are the customer too.

Is this vendor really serious about growing their business or just hoping to get some people to bite? Once I saw his ads, they were no different sounding than the generic email he sent with an eye catching subject line. There was nothing unique or promising there to get my attention. He would have been better off with the subject, 'Radio and TV ads that deliver' - if they do.

I am not ripping all vendors, I am ripping on the tactics some use to get in front of dealers. As I said to Yag, if you have a great product, then it will speak for itself, as sales people we have to sell ourselves to the customer to feel comfortable to buy from us. Saying "your ____ sucks" isn't a great first impression, that's just my opinion.

As for the crazy giveaways, free TV's, Frisbee's, etc, or crazy subject lines, we stopped doing it really. We found people are more happy being given a good reason to come see us, better rebates, availability, looking for their trade etc. Actually just following up and checking in with them works wonders. We find that if you treat people fair, honest, and friendly with no gimmicks, it works. We didn't see any decline in getting people in the door. Actually we get comments from people all the time saying how we are different and as one lady put it, "not the same old typical car dealer shenanigans".

Note to Vendors; Do not stop throwing lavish parties and giving me free stuff. I need more USB drives!

Jamie, like I said, I enjoy the parties and time to unwind and get to know people at those, but I do not allow the parties to influence my decisions in which vendor is right for our dealership. I have had friends tell me how great a certain vendor is, taking them out to dinner, parties, etc, but in the end I ask a 3 part question; How happy are you with their support, your ROI, and its performance. Now, that can be based on how your team uses the solution, so its really a 4 part question. But any good vendor, should make sure your team is using the solution to their best for everyone's success. If its a win win, then the party is worthwhile.

Reactions: 1 person
Oh man, I am LMAO!!! Love ya Jerry! But I am going to redeem myself after you showed an empty Duke beer huggie! I am surprised you didn't show an empty tin of peanuts! As I recall we did drink some beer while you were here and I have said many time we need to play golf. But no worries. Yet you wait, I am not letting this go that you called me out with an empty beer huggie!!

And anyone that wants a Duke beer huggie send me your address!

Reactions: 1 person
What???? You actually get gifts! Must be nice, all I ever get are calls, emails and over-hyped, over-blown empty promises, and when it comes to crunch time; when the product/service doesn't do/act or perform in the manner I was told it would, I then call that vendors' support staff, only to be told that the sales rep must have been mistaken as that is not how this product performs/works!....WTF...auto vendors are like the wind....................they blow :mad: