• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Very new to this

I am closer to confused than I am informed. But I think this website will help. Plus, I am sure that many of the internet gurus are entertained by an owner showing his ignorance.

Not at all - I deal with it all the time. Our owner is in his 80's and will be the first to admit he doesn't like to mess with a computer beyond checking email (he loves email though).

My only suggestion is that you get a CRM that contains the ILM so all your people will be on the same page. I wouldn't look for separate solutions. You've got a good list of companies to talk to already.

Kirk.... could you be on the upward slop here?

confusion_chart.gif

hahaha... Gimme the shopper on the upslope!

I am not new to the business. I've used dealer.com and it works. That being said, my current dealer uses ProMax which is a GREAT special finance tool and decent desking tool but a TERRIBLE email and ILM tool.

I'm currently working on getting my GM to switch to VIN Solutions. My biggest and best pitch (from both them to me and now me to my boss) is they don't charge extra for each additional user AND they have a month to month contract so if they DO suck, they won't have many customers for long.

Go to their website and click on the link to setup a demo. It was so cool that I wanted to sign up that DAY!

P.S. I'm not trying to sell you anything, just an internet manager who spends his day in the trenches sending emails and trying to call people and get them in the door.

I have seen their demo and it seems like a great system. But although they have no contract their upfront fees and training costs are high. I feel upfront costs are really no different than a contract because I still have an initial cost of approximately $7000 that I need to recoup. Initial investments like that create the same commitment to the system as a written contract. The upfront fees that they are not willing to waive is the reason that I am still looking. Because their system did alot of good stuff....I liked what I saw on the demo!

Kirk,
I agree with the comments here that the fact that you the owner are here looking to drive this change is both good and refreshing. I know that no matter who you choose to provide your technology it ultimately is the responsibility of your staff to fill that CRM/ILM with the correct information and then to use that information to help you sustain your business.

To often the technology gets blamed for our own shortcomings with using it. I am fortunate to work for a store that has a GM that has trained and pushed for use of or CRM for many years. It is the cornerstone of our business and we would be nowhere near as successful without the information and ways to use that information it provides. You have a large list of technology products right now and without a CRM or ILM to manage the contacts you are working hard to provide yourself with you are probably overspending already.

Kirk, I know I'm a little later here but that for joining in on the forums and NOT being afraid to post your questions...Looking at our stats everyday, there are always a ton of readers that do no participate and ask questions for the same fear.

We seem to have a lot of Dealer.com, iMagiclab and VIN Solutions users here on the forums.

Someone suggested that whoever you go with, be sure they offer a CRM and ILM in one solution. This is a MUST!! but I'm going to ad another piece to this that will help narrow down your search a little. My CRM/ILM needs to have Desking capabilities built into the solution as well. I want real time desking that seamlessly ties into the CRM.

Getting your Sales Manager staff to proactively use your CRM can be a struggle, However if you can get them bought into desking their deals using the same solution..this becomes a much easier task.

As someone else mentioned somewhere on the forums, EVERY CRM has it's issues and bugs. Take your time before making a decision, demo every product and when you decide, give it 100% effort and learn to use and maximize the tool.

I used elead CRM for a few years and overall was pleased with the product. It has ILM/CRM/Desking all in one. They also just added an inventory tool into the mix as well though I'm not familiar with it. The system/desking could be a little slow at times and they needed to do a better job with their email delivery.

Autobase - Rule #14 for this forum "You can't ask Jeff about AutoBase" :)

I have played around with DealerSocket and believe they need to be on your list of potential providers. They offer a strong CRM/ILM and Desking.

Car-Research is another up and comer. I have DEMO's this solutions a few times and each time was more impressed. From the DEMO they have a VERY strong email marketing piece CRM/ILM and even a strong service module.

HigherGear - I won't even go there.

If you are looking to just get your feet wet and go light with CRM with a focus on ILM you can always consider AVV Webcontrol. But then again a lot of the CRM providers offer their ILM a la cartel.

NOTE: Just because a CRM Demo's well does NOT mean it will work well. Take your time..call other dealers (more than a couple) that have a clue and get their honest feedback. Do your best to get a working DEMO so you can play around with it. Maybe even hire a consultant that has an understanding of your dealers process and can match up the right CRM for your dealer. Just don't take the decision lightly...nothing worse than being a year into using a CRM and then switching. 9 times out of 10 (no matter what the new provider tells you) getting your customer notes and accurate information from the previous CRM is a pain and some charge extra for this service).

I was searching the blog earlier for some relevant posts..it's funny when I stumble across some older posts... http://www.dealerrefresh.com/why-i-hate-car-dealercrm-software/

Hi Kirk!

Thanks Jeff for the thumbs up on our product. I totally agree that the bells and whistles you will see in demos of CRM tools can lead you to believe that they are a silver bullet, but as someone else on this thread mentioned, the CRM tool you choose is only as strong as the policies and procedures YOU put in place to support it.

On top of that, make sure that whichever solution you choose offers top notch support. Because this "New" to your dealership, I imagine you will need some handholding through your implementation and beyond. If your CRM provider can't promise to be there for you at every step, you might be in for an uphill battle.

You mentioned that you are talking with someone at DealerSocket, but if there is anything I can do to help you or if you have specific questions, please be sure to reach out to me! I'm not a DealerSocket sales person, but I'm here to help.

Regards and best of luck in your search!
Shellie Pierce
[email protected]
866-860-2687
www.dealersocket.com

I have played around with DealerSocket and believe they need to be on your list of potential providers. They offer a strong CRM/ILM and Desking.

NOTE: Just because a CRM Demo's well does NOT mean it will work well. Take your time..call other dealers (more than a couple) that have a clue and get their honest feedback. Do your best to get a working DEMO so you can play around with it. Maybe even hire a consultant that has an understanding of your dealers process and can match up the right CRM for your dealer. Just don't take the decision lightly...nothing worse than being a year into using a CRM and then switching. 9 times out of 10 (no matter what the new provider tells you) getting your customer notes and accurate information from the previous CRM is a pain and some charge extra for this service).

Kirk,
I know it has been a few weeks since your post but I wanted to say Hello. I work with a small dealership/group as the BDC/Internet Manager, IT person, Website guru and whatever the day needs.

I think it is great that the owner is doing the research not just letting a rep give him a sales pitch. I have Dealer.com's ILM tool for one for our smaller stores and have always liked dealer.com products.

Our main store went with a full CRM install a few years ago with the whole - we need to work with the DMS - as the motto. Our tool needs replaced. I am currently reviewing options to present to the owner. I didn't take part in the first selection so I really feel that I must do my homework as the options I show him will probably be all we consider. So, I applaud your research.

I have worked with several ILMs/CRM as a started out as a consultant to our dealer group starting back in the late 90s on Internet website deisgn, then to lead management now to just being part of the dealership myself. So I would love to help you.

You can email me directly at [email protected]