• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Web Based or Local Hosted?

Aereus

Rust & Dust
Dec 7, 2009
First Name
Craig
I am curious to know what experiences, and/or preferences you have with a Web-based CRM/ILM vs a traditional Local Host CRM/ILM. I'll start with the obvious detraction, with web-based, unless you have a local host copy, if you don't have internet you don't have the application. On the positive side, your data is mobile and accessible anywhere there is a connection. I would love to hear others' thoughts.

Comming from an IT background I am was most comfortable with locally hosted... However I have changed my opinion. If a product is remotely hosted and has strong separation of customers using their product I prefer this.

Some company's try to host their app's and do not embed strong security measures and ultimately expose customer "B" s records to customer "A".

A good example can be found on a popular CRM tool by R n R. Change the hid= variable at the end of the URL and you can see other dealerships CRM data.

I'm always a fan of locally hosted apps over remote counterparts but only if all properties are similar. Right now the web based CRMs are LEAGUES above their server based counterparts. I don't recommend getting any server based products at this time. They just haven't kept up with the times.

Now, the first web based CRM that allows me to install on a local web server in a DMZ but still gets bi-weekly or monthly updates like the rest of their customers will get a huge check mark next to their name in my book.

Web based software is the future and the only way. Our software integrates with over 100 other products and vendors. It would be impossible for us to support that if we had to manage our software installed on servers at hundreds of dealerships.

Server based software doesn't work for dealer groups either. Talk to any large dealer group that uses one. No reporting or communication between the sites...

I can't imagine operating in a hosted environment. Obviously, I'm extremely biased but the speed at which we release enhancements and bug fixes would be a nightmare in the hosted world. Maintaining the hardware and backups would then fall on the dealers. Backing up the data and hardware redundancy then comes to mind.

Don't get me wrong, web-based is not perfect and dependent on a reliable and scalable infrastructure. All of which are very costly and not practical for smaller companies. I'm thankful for being part of Dominion Enterprises who has invested millions of dollars in their own data center with multiple redundancy for power, internet connections, cooling and fire suppression.

Last edited:
Sounds like all the companies with web based services love web based stuff LOL.

Ed points out the scary part of web based software... It's running on -something- and you normally will never know what that something is, where it is, who's in charge of it, and how secure it is.

Ed points out the scary part of web based software... It's running on -something- and you normally will never know what that something is, where it is, who's in charge of it, and how secure it is.

Having worked for and with different CRM vendors, I can tell you that there's a lot technology behind the scenes. Different server farms in different parts of the country and replicating the servers instantaneously to protect data. Security is also very high priority. Especially for those using the CRM to pull credit. I am sure Matt can fill in the blanks.

The problem if any is normally at the dealers end. How good of a connection do you have? Yes the internet can go down, but it's normally back up very quickly. Personally I have not experienced one outage over the last year.

I've seen a lot more go wrong with a box sitting in a dealership.