• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
@Todd Thompson working on a prototype for SRP page concept and looking for some feedback. If anyone has thoughts or contributions please chime in!

The concept I'm working on basically takes the existing navigation structure of dealer sites and eliminates the cruft. So, rather than going to dealerwebsite.com -> inventory -> new or used. It will be just dealerwebsite.com with all the inventory right there. I'm trying to follow a jobs-to-be done mentality here and those are basically:

1. I want to buy a car
2. I need to schedule service
3. I need to contact the dealer quickly OR find the dealers contact info quickly (ex: phone / directions)
4. I talked with dealer, now I just want to submit a credit app and someone will call me about it

The trouble areas I identified with the SRP so far are basically:

1. Navigation is essentially the same regardless of group site, inventory volume, and inventory mix.
2. No curation
3. Lack of personalization, overall user behavior click-thru "intelligence"

What I've come up with as a solution is for an SRP to become adaptive and curated. Some of the categories I've thought about:

• Luxury
  • SUV's
  • Budget
  • Family
  • Compact
  • EV's
  • Fleet
  • Staff Favorites
  • Top Safety Pick
  • Commercial
  • Managers Specials
  • Lease Specials
  • Performance
There's probably a handful more that you hear about all the time from customers. Hope some of you can help me with that. It's also ok if some of those categorizations overlap.

I think these categories can help especially on large group sites. And as we've seen lately where a dealer could have a low supply of new vehicles but not used. I'm also planning to have a sort of if -> then -> that settings for facet selection that looks something like this:

no facets selected: [show different categories with expand button]
model selected: [trim, price range]
make selected: [model, price range]
body_type selected: [price range, curated categories (luxury, performance, EV, etc.)

Overall looking to build out something dynamic that responds to what people are clicking on both individually and collectively and having the UI adapt to that while still making sense for how people shop for cars.

Also forgot one crucial point...a primary goal for the dealer's website should be to sell the dealership. So things like social proof/testimonials/reviews I'll include in the SRP as well.
great feedback!

Reactions: craigh
I really want to buy in on this but I'm struggling.

Will people sit through a data scraping survey when they can barely manage reading more than a page on text on your browser?

Would this work better as a Voice Assistant?
I think so but are people ready to do that in the browser? or at the dealership?

What do people really want?
Do they want the human experience or the new order a Big Mac screen experience?

Me: A few years ago.
I was looking for a replacement for my Audi Q4. I was open to most SUVs. But walked into a Chevy dealer and saw a R/T manual Challenger that was tweaked a little. lol ... didn't expect that to happen. Actually, subconsciously, I wanted one but didn't want to admit that and refused to online search for one. Mid-life crisis won the day and Cobra Kai made the ownership all the better until I moved to Houston and need something quiet and less fun and actually easier to drive on crappy roads.

My dealer buddy was laughing so hard when I put the Challenger on hold.

How do I fit into this scenario?

I really want to buy in on this but I'm struggling.

Will people sit through a data scraping survey when they can barely manage reading more than a page on text on your browser?

Would this work better as a Voice Assistant?
I think so but are people ready to do that in the browser? or at the dealership?

What do people really want?
Do they want the human experience or the new order a Big Mac screen experience?

Me: A few years ago.
I was looking for a replacement for my Audi Q4. I was open to most SUVs. But walked into a Chevy dealer and saw a R/T manual Challenger that was tweaked a little. lol ... didn't expect that to happen. Actually, subconsciously, I wanted one but didn't want to admit that and refused to online search for one. Mid-life crisis won the day and Cobra Kai made the ownership all the better until I moved to Houston and need something quiet and less fun and actually easier to drive on crappy roads.

My dealer buddy was laughing so hard when I put the Challenger on hold.

How do I fit into this scenario?

Yea great point. Most of the time, it's never one thing. I'm the type of buyer that could go from a Lexus ES300h (reliability, no frills interior, 40+mpg, good resale) to a Silverado 1500 (good depreciation, bad on gas, but useful to have and roads by me are terrible), to a Tesla Model S (sexy car, cool tech features, family sedan, good performance) all the way to a Volvo XC90 (never been a fatality). I could walk into the dealership looking to see one and walk out with another. Happens all the time! We're emotional buyers.

To answer your question, if you can get more cars in front of people on the site, chances are they'll have a more productive visit when they get to your store. I don't think a voice assistant is a useful feature for something like this. I don't think they're really all that useful in general. Overall, I think being able to present the vehicles on your lot in a better way, without a ton of clutter is useful. Just has to be marginally better. It's nice to experiment with this stuff when you don't have thousands of dealers to support too.

Reactions: craigh and Carsten
I'm in your camp of less clutter and distraction is more.

here is a transformer van from Japan:

Carsensor is backed by a magazine and advertising company.

Just so much stuff to look at.

Last edited: