• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

What are your MOBILE WEBSITE numbers? And Prediction for 2013!

Capital Ford Mobile stats (30 day average as of today)

% of Mobile Visits = 17.64% (of overall traffic)
Average of mobile page views = 8.36
Average time on Mobile website = 4:03

#1 Mobile Device/Browser - iPad (about 35%)
#2 Mobile Device/Browser - iPhone (about 33%)
#3 Mobile Device/Browser - Android

I'm blown away by our mobile stats, we're in the prairies, where the perception and attitude has always been that we're slow to adopt and slow to change... it's a real eye opener!

We're currently using DealerOn for our mobile websites.

Question to all.
Is the iPad (and all tablets) really considered a mobile phone?

Rambling Thoughts.
You don't need a custom site for a tablet. BUT your site needs to be "fat finger" friendly (aka tablet user friendly).

If you send your tablet user to your mobile site, are they getting the FULL experience? Ask yourself, from the tablet users perspective, which experience is superior? Desktop site or mobile site?

Mobile is omnipresent (mobile is in almost every pocket all over the usa)
Tablets are not physically attached to the user like a mobile phone is. IMO, They are more laptop like than mobile phone like.

My Summary:
IMO, iPad use is "mobile" but it's not "mobile-personal". The sheer size of the tablet keeps it OUT of the pocket and the tablet's larger display allows for a far larger site than the mobile site.

IMO, the "mobile-personal" connection you have with your shopper may be your most important connection. This mobile-personal-shopper is deeply committed to a purchase and your inventory makes them drool. If ever there was a window into shopping's 11th hour your mobile site is it.

I'd like to do some clicktale research and compare the shopping trails left by my desktop users vs my mobile users.

Am I off on this?

Reactions: 1 person
Joe, IMO you're 100% correct. I was thinking the exact same thing (in a much less eloquent way). The symptom is simply because Google lists iPad in mobile. Doesn't mean it's really a mobile user getting a mobile experience. I'd never send an iPad user to our mobile sites.

Joe,...The symptom is simply because Google lists iPad in mobile. Doesn't mean it's really a mobile user getting a mobile experience. I'd never send an iPad user to our mobile sites.

If that is the case Mitch, then your web peeps need to figure out how so many iPad shoppers are getting to your mobile site:

#1 Mobile Device/Browser - iPad (about 35%)
#2 Mobile Device/Browser - iPhone (about 33%)
#3 Mobile Device/Browser - Android

If that is the case Mitch, then your web peeps need to figure out how so many iPad shoppers are getting to your mobile site:

I don't think any are, I just checked on our office 3G ipad and it's the full site. Maybe I'm just being lazy but I just grabbed my mobile stats from Google analytics, assuming that's what others did as well.

I don't think any are, I just checked on our office 3G ipad and it's the full site. Maybe I'm just being lazy but I just grabbed my mobile stats from Google analytics, assuming that's what others did as well.

I'd be curious if iPad visitors are making it to your mobile site and if they're getting there, HOW did they get in? Organic SERP's deep linking?

I'd be curious if iPad visitors are making it to your mobile site and if they're getting there, HOW did they get in? Organic SERP's deep linking?

The first thing I would check is the re-direct code. You can remove it if needed and all iPad users will simply go the main site.

We're currently at 25% mobile visitors (not including ipads), which is a huge leap up from this time last year.

Mitch and Joe, I spoke with Trey at Click Motive a few weeks ago. I know that their platform sends iPad users to the desktop website. Google, however still considers the iPad and other tablets to be a mobile visitor in their analytics. He expected Google to change the way it reports iPad visitors.

Reactions: 1 person
Mitch and Joe, I spoke with Trey at Click Motive a few weeks ago. I know that their platform sends iPad users to the desktop website. Google, however still considers the iPad and other tablets to be a mobile visitor in their analytics. He expected Google to change the way it reports iPad visitors.

Brent,

You missed the point bro... Let me ask it another way.

What site is better for your desktop visitor... Mobile site or Desktop? In almost all cases that i have seen, the desktop site is a better site for your ipad visitor.

Agreed? If so, your mobile site's goal is to have very little iPad traffic.

Ask yourself (& your web vendor), how come Google Analytics is seeing ANY iPad visitors on your mobile site.