• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

What camera do you use for pre-owned inventory?

Old thread, but relevant to me. I use a Canon 40D with a run-of-the mill Canon 18-55mm EFS IS lens. The only reason I use this camera is because I do sports photography as well, but it's a pain because it shoots in a 3:2 aspect ratio and all sites want you to upload in 4:3. It's too much cropping.

Does anyone who uses a DSLR camera have any thoughts on the best settings?
We ran into this issue as well; when we changed logos to add Cadillac, we changed the settings in FastStone Photo Resizer to pad the bottom of the image to bring it back to 4:3.

I don't think there is a need for DSLR when photos are ultimately compressed-for-the web JPEGs. Biggest thing is ease of use and a system (like those identified by previous posters) in-place to make you more efficient; batch processing and automation of watermarks, posting, etc.

I am looking to replace our camera for doing our inventory and we are wanting to start doing some video both of inventory and stationary stuff. I realize we are late to the video party but better late than never

I am thinking that a DSLR that does video may be the best way to kill two birds with on stone or am I better to separate it out and just get a new point and shoot and a separate video cam

Any input would be great.

I think a lot of high end SLR cameras that do video lack auto focus when you switch to video mode, so watch out for that. Or at least they used to...

As Korey said below, an SLR is perhaps over kill for taking photos of cars since the files get down sized to 640x480 resolution.

As Korey said below, an SLR is perhaps over kill for taking photos of cars since the files get down sized to 640x480 resolution.
On sheer resolution? Maybe...but the larger sensor, RAW format, and ability to use a speedlight can really make a difference in a darker interior. (Granted, we switched about three years ago...the P&S game has obviously stepped up since, but we'll see how much whenever our D60 finally gives up the ghost.)

I MUST GET A WIDE ANGLE LENS... and without barreling (curling of edges of image)

Good luck with that Joe. Every wide angle lens I've ever used barrels up close, and I use nothing but the best equipment (not for shooting cars). If you want wide without barrel distortions you will need a tilt/shift lens. Canon probably has the most affordable wide angle tilt/shift at $2,400 (17mm T/S on B&H) followed by the 24mm T/S at $2,200.

I'm still not sold on using a D-SLR camera for vehicle product photos that are going to be reduced in size to 640 x 480 pixels (as Matt mentioned a few posts ago). It is just a superior waste of money. Virtually any Point & Shoot can handle the job just fine.

If I were buying a camera for outdoor product imagery that is going to get 5 million shutter clicks quickly, will be exposed to varying temperature changes, will be handled by a non-professional photographer, and genuinely will not be cared for this is exactly what I would buy:

Canon PowerShot SX210 IS Digital Camera (Black) 4246B001 B&H

Why? Because it satisfies exactly what you need to shoot vehicle photos that will look fantastic, and does not break the bank so you can easily replace it *when* you do break it.

The good when looking for a camera for this duty: What this camera has

Shake Control: Canon Image Stabilization
Optical Zoom Lens: 28 to 392mm (28 to 70mm is the range you're mostly at)
ISO adjustability: Yes - as low as 80 up to 1600. (ISO 200 is where I usually live)
Weight: Less than a pound
Size: Small enough to fit in my pants pocket when I need to pull trash or do some quick detail work on a car
Macro Capable: Yes
Flash: Yes and it has "Smart Flash" for more natural light ...main reason why I like this camera over others. Range is up to 3.51 meters...perfect.
Extra Battery Available: Yes

Things I don't care about:
Shutter Speed: All consumer camera are proficient here these days
Mega Pixels: This is not image quality as camera marketers want you to believe (quality comes from the lens). MP's are simply the size of the image outputted. You can make arguments for downsizing mixed with lens quality helps image quality, but I'm not going to listen to you. Your photos are downsized so much this really doesn't matter when today's consumer selection is only 6MP and up.
Video capability: Nice to have, but this camera is for taking photos of cars. I'll buy a video camera for video if I want to go there.
RAW file output: This is an absolute must have feature for me on my personal cameras that are not used for shooting cars, but RAW processing adds time to the process. Time is something most dealers don't have.
White balance modes: If you understand it, maybe. The "Auto" setting is pretty damn accurate these days.

I think the additional contrast and sharpness that a decent dSLR is an advantage over the point & shoot.

If all you do is snap 3-4 pictures of the car and upload them to push them out to your website/3rd party, then yes go with a P&S. However, if you take the time to detail each car and get some nice shots of the car inside/out you will enjoy using a dSLR. Of course it will take some research and trial and error to get the cars to look as good as possible.

That's what it all boils down to. Accurately representing the vehicles while being able to make them look as good as possible.

IMO you don't see quality like the picture below from a P&S even after resizing and jpeg compression (although this one was shot in jpeg)

06CLS5005.jpg

Good luck with that Joe. Every wide angle lens I've ever used barrels up close, and I use nothing but the best equipment (not for shooting cars). If you want wide without barrel distortions you will need a tilt/shift lens. Canon probably has the most affordable wide angle tilt/shift at $2,400 (17mm T/S on B&H) followed by the 24mm T/S at $2,200.

I'm still not sold on using a D-SLR camera for vehicle product photos...this is exactly what I would buy:

Canon PowerShot SX210 IS Digital Camera (Black) 4246B001 B&H

Note to ALL,
Alex is a genuine Shutter Bug (I've seen his work)!

Alex, leave it to you to go all shutter-geek on me! hahaha. Your definition of a wide angle comes real camera work. Here's my "used car marketing guy" take on a wide-angle camera.

I totally agree with your P&S vs DSLR. IMO, interior shots are the money shots. They are also the most difficult. I wanted wide angle to help the shopper visualize the dash from the captains chair.

I upgraded all cameras here 1-18 months ago had a budget with no limit and I went with the Canon PowerShot SX200 IS. Most P&S back then had a 37mm lens or higher and I wanted wider angle, but, not so wide where it gets that bubble look.

Who's gonna get the sale?
38686019b4fe49feaf5f55074cb10748.jpg

-or-

1722547224d54c53891748a2462bbe6f.jpg

My definition of "Wide Angle" is relative to... used cars ;-)

Last edited:
If you want to dig in the pocket a little deeper than what a typical point n shoot will fetch, you can step up to one of the new micro 4/3 cameras. Just a little larger than a point n shoot but the photo quality and lens of a DSLR.

I bought the Panasonic for personal use but have taken some awesome vehicle photos with it. It's magic in bad lighting conditions. Like I said, it might be a little out of the budget but you'll be getting and awesome camera.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

Hmmm.. what a GREAT resource DR is!
Many times my interior shots are fuzzy and I believe I needed to double the lighting in our booths. I WAS going to spend BIG money, but, buying a better camera is so much smarter!

thnx JK!

DON'T BUY MORE LIGHTS, BUY A BETTER CAMERA! <--DOH!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person