• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

What camera do you use for pre-owned inventory?

I upgraded all cameras here 1-18 months ago had a budget with no limit and I went with the Canon PowerShot SX200 IS. Most P&S back then had a 37mm lens or higher and I wanted wider angle, but, not so wide where it gets that bubble look.

Did you notice we both picked the same camera. I just grabbed the latest edition. Too funny :lol:

Thanks for the Shutter Bug compliment Joe. Not to toot my own horn too much, but when it comes to photography, this is subject I am insanely passionate about. I've been shooting (with a SLR) since I was 7. Sitting next to me right now is at least $30,000 in camera gear - if that gives you any idea how into it I am. That's 2 bodies, 4 lenses, some nick-knack stuff, and 3 tripods. Did i just say "tripod"? Sure did. That is the most overlooked and forgotten about piece of photography gear that will set your images apart from everything. I can't imagine not taking photos without the right tripod for the conditions (why I have 3). That isn't enough of a statement to prove that I know what I'm talking about, but that's all I'm going to give for now.

Getting to know your camera is better than investing in a new camera. If you have learned the differences between adjusting ISO and when to use your flash for balancing the light, then you are ready to jump into a SLR. I'll leave it at that.

When you do get the SLR, put a fixed 50mm lens on it and learn to zoom with your feet. This will teach you a ton about "using your eye" to get the shot.

P.S. Joe, that's not directed at you. Those last two paragraphs are for anyone who is drooling over using a SLR, but hasn't really taken the time to understand what it actually does.

I should mention that I'm looking at this from the "value of time" perspective.

Our photo man, at Checkered Flag, "the Knoop" was also as passionate as I am for photography. He understood how to use a camera, how to balance the varying light conditions outdoor shooting poses, and how to frame a shot. He also was in charge of printing and placing the window stickers in the used cars. He was responsible for 8 different lots of cars with those lots varying from as little as 20 cars to as much as 400. He was charged with taking as little as 20 photos of each car, but he could take as many over 20 as he wanted as long the 20 hit the angles I held him accountable for.

If I were still at Checkered Flag, I'd change his payplan to be something along the lines of 60% of vehicles with photos = good. 70% = better. 80% = best. 90%+ = Big Bonus. Checkered Flag has a slower reconditioning turnaround than a lot of dealers I speak to and that is due to a philosophy of making sure we deliver a product we'd happily sell to a family member. If you were to adopt this payplan, change your percentages for your own reconditioning times.

You can always view "the Knoop's" speed jobs here: Used Car Norfolk & Virginia Beach - Checkered Flag

Could we slow him down, put the cars in a photo booth, and get some incredible images....sure. I'd have to lower those payplan percentages by about 30% each to be fair or hire another 2 photographers. This is where I'm coming from.

If you have a luxury store, or very low inventory, and have the time to put into SLR photography and post processing work then disregard most of what I've posted in this thread.