• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

What Defines A Successful Automotive Social Media Strategy

You might just be a red neck dealer if you're spending money on Twitter and FaceBook consultants...

...because you think being on FB opens the door to 4 billion people and all you need to know is where to insert the key. (after all, your high school pals found you so that means everyone can find you!)

Last edited:
I've seen that wild sparkle in your eye, YOU my friend, have the "secret sauce" to conquer this new space. Now... if you could just bottle it... ;-)

Thanks Joe, my ego can never get enough! ;) I'm not sure if I was drunk on secret sauce when I made this video for our current promo. I've yet to head feedback from customer.

Drunken Sauced Fail or Secret Sauce Win? You be the judge.

Just for reference, we're selling 1000 cars here between our Capital Ford and Capital GM store and this is a landing page after they visit mission 1000. The processing page allows the customer to choose between the two stores and this video is on our Ford site's landing page.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
hahahahahaha, the ending was priceless! This is just a couple of tweaks from greatness!

OK, here's how you fix it.
--Get a wireless lapel mic, the audio was faraway and echo-ey (read: awful).
--Shorten it up (a lot)
--Focus on the WIFMs
--Use Graphics to pound home the WIFMs

hahhaa... I am still LOL!

Thanks Joe! Beyond those, we did a pretty awful job getting a good key. We're only using iMovie and looking into upgrading to the new cs5.5, just waiting for hippo approval.

We like to have fun here and are looking to do more videos like this, (hopefully with better looking talent!!) and I'll definitely take that into account Joe. The WIIFMs are key!

Oh, and I ordered a Rode mic for audio. I'm hoping to get a Dslr and a rig to be able to catch some deadly videos at our stores, which would also be higher quality for better key's. For audio i've been pining over what to do beyond the Rode mic. I was thinking of getting the Zoom H4N or something similar. It seems to be a deadly option.... especially cuz i get to put a furry neon windscreen on it!

Disagree on that one. Do it but spend little-little money and at least make sure it doesn't work against you. Have a cool presence and control any possible negative feedback.

There are many other places much worst than that were dealers dump $300 every month.

Yes, but why throw it away when you can put it into something else that you know will return the value? I'm going to be a little critical about most of the social media automotive agencies that I've seen by saying that they have no to little value--not yet, anyway. I know for a fact that many of their followers and fans were purchased. And 15,000+ people are not going to follow an agency that's been in business for less than a few months in such a niche market.

If you cannot see the value of embracing social media and performing it in-house, then you probably do not put a priority in embracing your customers. With that attitude, building a "fan" base is not going to give you a competitive advantage.

I'm going to take a little bit back on that one ... If you're a longstanding marketing company, who has been doing digital for awhile with success, and offers integrated social media services, that's going to be the best value for remote SM management if it makes you feel like your missing something or on the fence. If you are a dedicated social media service company--I'm not sure you get it.

And if you like spending an extra $300 a month for the heck of it, throw it to Jerry T. and train a few of your folks on the phone--you'll get more bang for your buck.

Last edited:
that's going to be the best value for remote SM management if it makes you feel like your missing something or on the fence.

I think that with SM YOU always feel that you are missing something.

Look at our conversation; we have a hard time pointing out what do do, or how to do it, or when to do it, etc and you have pretty web savvy guys here. Imagine the average guy that just wants to go and sell cars!