• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

What Defines A Successful Automotive Social Media Strategy

Cassie,
Maybe the Chamber reference was not the best way to get my point accross, but if you read any other part of my posts you would see that the dealers voice and core beliefs should be the foundation of their presence on any social forum and that cannot be out sourced.

I did read your other post and I particularly liked the approach that you and your dealer took to using social media. I agree that you should take the tools that are available to you, and use them, however fits your goals best. Using SM as a tool to build and cement your relationships within your community is wonderful. I was a bit unsure though, about your second comment. As to the outsourcing, I agree for the most part, but only to an extent. I do believe that there are some businesses where SM can successfully be outsourced, assuming your market and other strategies go along with it, and that your "outsource" isn't a robot.

Nine years ago I was sitting in a conference and an "Internet futurist" told me that my refrigerator would be Web connected and tell me when I was out of milk within five years ... that didn't catch on.

12 Years ago I was sitting in a small house back in Istanbul with couple Russian friends and posting on UHA1 (United Hackers Association) forums and saw my friend control the Fridge thru electric lines, turning it on and off. Now they are using the same data transfer over electrical lines technology to charge Plug in Hybrid vehicles with CONSUMER's choice of energy source.

All those things you said (Maybe some) will remain in the future but they will 100% adapt to digital concept

David,

Respectfully, a sign and a building are more vital for the majority of dealers than a presence on Facebook or a daily twitter feed of inventory. In fact when I get a steady stream of inventory flying across my twitter feed or a daily oil change coupon in my Facebook live stream, that's a clear signal to "unfollow".

Laugh away :lmao:but I firmly believe that getting the basics in place is a vital step before any dealer starts chasing unicorns with no real ROI attainable for months or years.

I'm not saying don't do it, I'm saying have your priorities straight. And Social Media would not rate really high on my priority list.

And make no mistake, dealers measure results in units sold not in the number of followers they have.

I think if you read all of my comments here you see that I understand that. Social media is only one new channel. I do firmly agree that you need to have a cohesive and integrated plan for any marketing, PR, sales, operations ... effort.

If you go back to my first answer about the definition of a successful automotive SM strategy, I said a one word answer ... "results."

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as defensive -- I really love and highly respect you all!. :)

12 Years ago I was sitting in a small house back in Istanbul with couple Russian friends and posting on UHA1 (United Hackers Association) forums and saw my friend control the Fridge thru electric lines, turning it on and off. Now they are using the same data transfer over electrical lines technology to charge Plug in Hybrid vehicles with CONSUMER's choice of energy source.

All those things you said (Maybe some) will remain in the future but they will 100% adapt to digital concept

I respectfully disagree. But digital media is here to stay.

David,

Respectfully, a sign and a building are more vital for the majority of dealers than a presence on Facebook or a daily twitter feed of inventory. In fact when I get a steady stream of inventory flying across my twitter feed or a daily oil change coupon in my Facebook live stream, that's a clear signal to "unfollow".

Can't explain it better. :) Kudos to you. Also, that's exactly why most of the dealerships fail when It comes to MEDIA sources.

Let me reveal how to get over some of those issues.

If the Dealership was more personal on their Oil Change coupon with an integrated facebook API to post it on customer's individual wall as an oil change reminder, that coupon would have allot more positive effect..

Rob, Correct me if I'm wrong, It seems to me that you're making the generalization that the SM strategy for all businesses should take this same "speaking to the chamber of commerce" approach? As in, dealers, retail stores, marketing companies, non-profits, veterinarians, lawyers, comedians, actors - All of them? I disagree here. Your approach to social media should reflect the personality and culture of your business, which should be reflected in your mission & overall goals of the company. This varies even from dealer to dealer, making it necessary for each business to structure its own strategy based on its own goals and operations.

He means in a PR sense. You would want someone to represent you during a Chamber event if they didn't present themselves well, or not have the business' attitudes and best interests in check.

The perception of Social Media to businesses changed when some genius added the word "Marketing" to it. That's when the Social Media Gurus all began clamoring at the gates. I found that boiling oil was most effective. Facebook is an immeasurable medium, unless you are buying PPC ads and tracking them.

Respectfully disagree. I would also like to opportunity to show you a way to track EVERYTHING on FB, with NO ppc...

Hit me any time and I will show you some "secret sauce" to blow your socks off.

Respectfully disagree. I would also like to opportunity to show you a way to track EVERYTHING on FB, with NO ppc...

Hit me any time and I will show you some "secret sauce" to blow your socks off.

OK, this is where I call a little "BS." But first ... I believe that social media is quite trackable. I also believe that the barrier-to-entry into social media (as a user) is so low that it has given many delusions of guru. Like those who learned a little HTML back in the 90's, everyone is an expert.

Brian -- There is no "secret sauce." Except the kind you serve with BBQ-ed unicorn. It's a fact that social media activity will become a major part of the next generation of Google’s algorithm ... and probably sooner than later. So at one point dealers who depend on SEO to get ranked high will have to develop a social media strategy.

OK, this is where I call a little "BS." But first ... I believe that social media is quite trackable. I also believe that the barrier-to-entry into social media (as a user) is so low that it has given many delusions of guru. Like those who learned a little HTML back in the 90's, everyone is an expert.

Brian -- There is no "secret sauce." Except the kind you serve with BBQ-ed unicorn. It's a fact that social media activity will become a major part of the next generation of Google’s algorithm ... and probably sooner than later. So at one point dealers who depend on SEO to get ranked high will have to develop a social media strategy.

+1