• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

What to Look for in a CRM?

Internet.Leads

Green Pea
Jan 12, 2010
First Name
Shaun
Ok, so it is that time, we are at the end of CRM contract finally and are planning to attend NADA to shop for a new CRM/ILM. I am looking for a list of must haves features and functionality with a CRM/ILM. Looking for input to compile a list to use when comparing different CRMs at the show to help us make our decision. PLEASE NO ADVERTISING YOUR CRM, OR EVEN SUGGESTING OR TELLING ME WHAT CRM YOU LIKE OR USE! Just looking for what you think are YOUR favorite, must have, needed, or wanted features; that i can then do my own search to find our new CRM.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Mr. Toyota Dealership,

There is so much that one could write here. To best answer your question one would need to better understand your dealership and what types of tools and process you currently have in place. I really don't have a lot of time to expand on this right now, I would however be willing to spend a few hours with you at NADA as you browse the different offerings. Having been a CRM trainer, I can offer you a lot of unbiased information. You may also call me tomorrow anytime after 7:00AM since I'll be on a nine hour car ride. I won't make any product pitches for anyone, but I will offer you some sound advice on what you should be looking for in a tool after I better understand your dealership. My number is in my sig file.

Last edited:
I appriciate the help. but i am going with another person, and we have to report back to our gm/owner. just trying to get a list of feature YOU like, need and want.

Like some of the private message I have gotten (thank you):

OEM internet lead certified,
Able to push and pull to ADP,
integrated CRM and ILM,
round robin leads by schedule
respnd via blackberry....

What else?

Mr. Toyota Dealership,

There is so much that one could write here. To best answer your question one would need to better understand your dealership and what types of tools and process you currently have in place. I really don't have a lot of time to expand on this right now, I would however be willing to spend a few hours with you at NADA as you browse the different offerings. Having been a CRM trainer, I can offer you a lot of unbiased information. You may also call me tomorrow anytime after 7:00AM since I'll be on a nine hour car ride. I won't make any product pitches for anyone, but I will offer you some sound advice on what you should be looking for in a tool after I better understand your dealership. My number is in my sig file.

we are a average size toyota dealership, i manage the internet/bdc dept of 4 reps. currently are crm is good at crm but not the best for ilm.

appriciate the help, but through this forum would be preffered first.

Here are some of the major features to look for. Maybe this will help.

DMS Integration - How well does it integrate with your DMS?
Overall ease of use for salespeople
Inventory integration - Do you have access to all your inventory including full details, pricing, pictures and more (Would be good to know what you are selling.)
Internet lead functions - Can you easily email pictures and details about your inventory?
Showroom traffic - Can you track the activity that occurred in the showroom and do unsold follow up based on it?
Mobile CRM - Responding to leads from a mobile device is a must have. Manufacturers are about to require it.
Desking integration - If you want the managers to use the CRM, it better have good desking
Vehicle Valuations/Book out - Does it allow you to do trade appraisals and price inventory?
Reporting - Are there a lot of reports and can you build your own custom reports?
Marketing Campaigns - Can you mine your data to market to unsold, sold, and service customers?
Service department - Does it pull in service ROs for follow up and so you can see customer value
Phone PBX integration - Does it track inbound and outbound phone calls?
Dealer group functions - Centralized BDC/internet department functions, plus dealer group reporting

Last edited:
Here are some of the major features to look for. Maybe this will help.

DMS Integration - How well does it integrate with your DMS?
Overall ease of use for salespeople
Inventory integration - Do you have access to all your inventory including full details, pricing, pictures and more (Would be good to know what you are selling.)
Internet lead functions - Can you easily email pictures and details about your inventory?
Showroom traffic - Can you track the activity that occurred in the showroom and do unsold follow up based on it?
Mobile CRM - Responding to leads from a mobile device is a must have. Manufacturers are about to require it.
Desking integration - If you want the managers to use the CRM, it better have good desking
Vehicle Valuations/Book out - Does it allow you to do trade appraisals and price inventory?
Reporting - Are there a lot of reports and can you build your own custom reports?
Marketing Campaigns - Can you mine your data to market to unsold, sold, and service customers?
Service department - Does it pull in service ROs for follow up and so you can see customer value
Phone PBX integration - Does it track inbound and outbound phone calls?
Dealer group functions - Centralized BDC/internet department functions, plus dealer group reporting

Thank you