• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

What's Your Grade?

I posted this thread for some fun, but mostly to bring LOCAL SEO out of the closet.

Common Search Examples:
Chevrolet Equinox vs Chevrolet Dealers vs Chevrolet Equinox Dealers

"Chevrolet Equinox” brings back national results.
“Chevrolet Dealers” includes local map result.
“Chevrolet Equinox Dealers” brings back national results.

Oops...
“Chevrolet Equinox Dealers” is clearly a local search that Google has not yet perfected.

I am sure Google considers this a failed search result and we all know that Google will get it right. IMO, look for mountains of local search improvements to be coming very.

Yea, website grader is far from a true SEO score. But, Don't miss my point! Look at this again: Chevrolet Dealers See the LOCAL map? Is there a mention of a city or state on that search? Nope. Google has "flagged" that phrase as a LOCAL request and inserted the map.

Google LIKES inserting the LOCAL maps into it's ORGANIC results.

You got to get your local game on. You can't "assume" that Google knows who you are. Alex knows that it's tedious, mind numbing work, but, it needs to be done.

TEST YOURSELF RIGHT NOW:

Test #1: used car dealers - Google Search Are you there?

Test #2: Now click the map and zoom out a couple of steps. Are you there?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reminder Joe. Looks like we've come down 3 points since I last checked Hubspot. We're now a 95. Funny part is on the local listings link - it says we don't have any Google listings :lol: - we have too many in my opinion! Friggin' Google Local :banghead:

I'm with ya Alex, Local is a PIA. It's compounded by having so many rooftops.

VENDORS need to step up and take part in this or outside consultants may be dictating architecture mods to you (and that's not going to happen, which makes you look bad...). Vendors, at a minimum, the physical address should be in a format that google understands. After that, Local Maps visibility should be an upsell and it's CRITICAL that all dealers buy in.

Alex is not happy:
honda dealer Virginia beach - Google Maps

One reason why:
Address Extractor
(add this URL: http://honda.checkeredflag.com/index.htm)

Another reason why:
http://maps.google.com/places/us/va...ered-flag-motor-car-company-parts?hl=en&gl=us

Another reason why:
Google shows: (757) 687-3453‎ vs web site shows: 866-490-FLAG

Sorry Alex, not picking on you bro!
Don't throw that stapler at me!:hide: You're the 1st one I looked at. I posted this for the good of the DR community, we ALL need help in this area. ;-)

Last edited:
Scored 25% on the local search with my yahoo business listing claimed, but none claimed for google...which I know is claimed because I created it (same issue as Alex I guess) And my hubspot score for Jacksonville New & Used Car Dealership | Hyundai of St Augustine | Serving Daytona, Ormand Beach & Palm Coast, Florida is 93, had 224 inbound links. 3 of my competitors scored a 71,a 76,and a 62 with 39,69, and 24 inbound links.

Thanks for the tip Joe, I will look into claiming my Bing business listing based on the local search tools suggestion

Scored 25% on the local search with my yahoo business listing claimed, but none claimed for google...which I know is claimed because I created it (same issue as Alex I guess)

Andrew,

Go to google maps and search for hyundai dealer st augustine fl: hyundai dealer st augustine fl - Google Maps

• Marker A is your store (unclaimed)
  • Marker B is what you've claimed to be your store but it's off by miles.

Not sure what or why that happened, but regardless, Google is confused. The easy solution is to log into the Google LBC (Local Biz Center) and delete the rogue listing and claim the correct listing from the map.

Google has one of my stores is off by 500 yards.:thinker: grrrr....

BTW, If you have a toll free tracking number for your marketing, from all my reading, Google hasn't not yet figured out how to look past these unique toll free numbers. Google wants to see your primary phone number, so it sees the toll free tracking number as a number that is not connected to your primary business (read: deduct authority). If I find any news that changes this, I'll post it here.

Last edited:

I'm with ya Alex, Local is a PIA. It's compounded by having so many rooftops.

VENDORS need to step up and take part in this or outside consultants may be dictating architecture mods to you (and that's not going to happen, which makes you look bad...). Vendors, at a minimum, the physical address should be in a format that google understands. After that, Local Maps visibility should be an upsell and it's CRITICAL that all dealers buy in.

Alex is not happy:
honda dealer Virginia beach - Google Maps

One reason why:
Address Extractor
(add this URL: Norfolk Virginia Honda | Honda Service Parts VA | Used Honda Sale)

Another reason why:
Checkered Flag Motor Car Company: Parts - Google Maps

Another reason why:
Google shows: (757) 687-3453‎ vs web site shows: 866-490-FLAG

Sorry Alex, not picking on you bro!
Don't throw that stapler at me!:hide: You're the 1st one I looked at. I posted this for the good of the DR community, we ALL need help in this area. ;-)

Joe - I'm not upset. Our Honda store isn't in Virginia Beach - try Honda dealer Norfolk ;)

And you're missing this page: Virginia Honda Dealer | Honda Service Parts VA | Virginia Beach <--- where I have told Google to look.....recently, so it will probably take another 2 months :rolleyes:

By the way, this is what a Honda Virginia Beach search looks like when you're actually sitting in Virginia Beach (gotta love my Hyundai store :lol: ):

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-02-27 at 8.42.26 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-02-27 at 8.42.26 PM.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 10