• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

When Does Transparency Become Lunacy?

ed.brooks

Boss
Jan 15, 2010
Awards
First Name
Ed
I’m all for transparency. As some of you know, I like a Big Mac now and then. They advertise the price, I pay it, and I get a reliable, consistent product. That is a transparent transaction. It’s also a very sane transaction. This is an example of Price Transparency.

In the car business we used to advertise a ‘Loss Leader’ to get the customer in the door and then switch them to a higher price unit – admit it, we all did it. With your reputation not just on the line but ONLINE, this is harder and harder to do. So the trend is towards more upfront pricing and reduced negotiation (not always NO negotiation). Many folks in the business aren’t happy about this change, but it is a fact of life.

Now things started to get a little crazy a few years back when invoices started showing up online. The benchmark for the customer became dealer cost. It was a tougher environment and margins became squeezed, but there was still profit to be made. This Cost Transparency made a competitive environment even more competitive. I can think of no other retailer that shares their cost with their customers. This is a little crazy.

Move on to TrueCar. They not only show your invoice, they show actual dealer cost, with advertising, dealer incentives… everything, subtracted. Damn! Now to make matters worse, they show the lowest transaction in your market in the past month. This Transaction Transparency is lunacy. The new benchmark for a consumer is the lowest price a car has sold for in your market. Let’s say you have a big fleet customer that buys a car for his daughter. He gets a sweetheart deal. THAT is the new benchmark for everyone. Maybe you have a stair-step program and you are ALMOST to the big money. You sell 4 cars at the end of the month at a big loss – but you hit the goal. At the beginning of the following month customers are benchmarking you against those loser deals you made. This has the effect of being a reverse auction – a death spiral.

Stop the lunacy. There is zero reason to share your past transactions with anyone.

Reactions: 2 people
I firmly believe that dealerships, as a whole, operate with the highest degree of transparency as exemplified by the Obama administration.

I have run price leader ads but always had the vehicle available for sale. If they wanted air conditioning or an automatic transmission, it would be additional.

If dealerships would learn how to market their vehicles, they wouldn't need to purchase leads from any source. Giving access to your DMS, like Ed says, "is lunacy".

Speaking of Transparency! Lets make the vendors like True-Cars be transparent with their pricing. Everyone start posting their cost-per-lead for these vendors and also any freebies or discounts they offered you to sign up and we can keep it on a monthly rolling average so you can see if another dealer gets a better or bigger discount the previous month than what you got. If they did, then call them up and complain!!!

Sound like a plan????

I firmly believe that dealerships, as a whole, operate with the highest degree of transparency as exemplified by the Obama administration.

I have run price leader ads but always had the vehicle available for sale. If they wanted air conditioning or an automatic transmission, it would be additional.

If dealerships would learn how to market their vehicles, they wouldn't need to purchase leads from any source. Giving access to your DMS, like Ed says, "is lunacy".
Doug, while I normally agree with you, I will argue a couple of points; The old stripped down price leader ad isn't as effective as it used to be. Customers have become acclimated to seeing asking prices on the entire inventory - if they don't, your traffic will most likely suffer. Even if it doesn't, trying to move the customer into a nicely equipped unit runs the risk of a perceived bait and switch. Even if you stay strictly legal, the bad reviews can kill you.

The second issue is never letting anyone in your DMS. I don't think that's realistic today. There are places I'd want my inventory and some DMS access is going to be required to get it there. But do I want to limit what gets accessed? Absolutely! Transactions would be 100% off limits in my book.

The second issue is never letting anyone in your DMS. I don't think that's realistic today. There are places I'd want my inventory and some DMS access is going to be required to get it there. But do I want to limit what gets accessed? Absolutely! Transactions would be 100% off limits in my book.

Private companies have private books! The whole transparency thing is bull****. Companies will look back 5-10 years later and wonder what they were thinking. In my opinion, a great sale is all about making the customer feel like they got a great deal. As long as they walk out the doors feeling like they won, you won. That's why I think a lot of people tend to avoid salespeople while researching -- one because sales people negotiate for a living and are quite good at it, and two because they don't want to feel like they've disappointed you. Apple retail does a fantastic job at figuring out who in the store is ready to go.

Doug, while I normally agree with you, I will argue a couple of points; The old stripped down price leader ad isn't as effective as it used to be. Customers have become acclimated to seeing asking prices on the entire inventory - if they don't, your traffic will most likely suffer. Even if it doesn't, trying to move the customer into a nicely equipped unit runs the risk of a perceived bait and switch. Even if you stay strictly legal, the bad reviews can kill you.

Ed, I think we are still in agreement. I was thinking about my old newspaper ads. I didn't use that style of advertising on the internet. My inventory was pushed to the backend tool for my website then to third party sites.

The logical action for TrueCar to overcome the "kill the beast" movement is to turn on the advertising machine in an attempt to drive lots of consumer traffic to their site. I am starting to see a lot of TrueCar advertisements in my travels. This is going to get ugly. Dealers in competitive markets are going to brutalize one another. The ads show customers saving thousands of dollars, who wouldn't check it out if shopping for a vehicle. This is going to get really big and it's going to happen really fast if dealers don't stop now!

Dealers in rural areas who say that they are making money with TrueCar won't be making money when/if more dealers start using the tool.

If the beast grows, dealers are going to become profit stressed and we'll see a reduction in dealers across the country. There is no doubt in my mind that this will happen. Eventually dealers and manufacturers will be forced to go with one price shopping. This strategy would eliminate an environment where TrueCar could prosper.

For vendors watching this unfold from the sidelines, this won't be good for us either? Fewer dealerships mean less opportunities for all of us. We all need to be united and spread the word about TrueCar.

As always -- Kill The Beast!

I put in Chrysler dealerships and couldn't find any in the metroplex. I looked up Nissan and Toyota and most of those have high dealer installed options and doc fees. I doubt that most of the TrueCar customers are going to be thrilled to see an additional $2100 added to the price of the car.

Speaking of Transparency! Lets make the vendors like True-Cars be transparent with their pricing. Everyone start posting their cost-per-lead for these vendors and also any freebies or discounts they offered you to sign up and we can keep it on a monthly rolling average so you can see if another dealer gets a better or bigger discount the previous month than what you got. If they did, then call them up and complain!!!

Sound like a plan????

I think True Car will do something like $150M this year?