• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Where is Amazon going with this?

I know at one point - this was many years ago - Fiat had a deal with Amazon to sell cars direct to consumers in Italy. I heard a rumor elsewhere that FCA NA wants to use Amazon to sell cars directly. I don't know how they could do this without being in a tight spot legally, and without pissing off it's dealership network.

That being said, between Amazon and then COX now investing in Rivian, who wants to do a direct to consumer model as well, I feel like we are closer than ever to true online purchasing of new vehicles. And it also making a change to the market entirely.

That being said, between Amazon and then COX now investing in Rivian, who wants to do a direct to consumer model as well, I feel like we are closer than ever to true online purchasing of new vehicles.

Each day a new inch is gained on the mile to retail a new car online.

The largest issue lies with the manufacturers at the moment. There is a desire to build proprietary systems instead of working with a standard. Many are following the Tesla model. We will see how that goes as few car manufacturers have breached the retail walls well. If that approach is successful it will make things more difficult for third parties like Amazon to be a retailer in this industry.

On a different note. Cox and Rivian:

I have heard Alex Taylor is a major fan of green products. The recent investment announcement may not be anything to read too deeply into. It could be a passion play mixed with a portfolio expansion. Or I could be totally wrong and it a fully strategic play to fuel competition against all the things that pay revenues to Cox Automotive.

Reactions: Zach Houseknecht
I follow the assumption that a listing service would be a target for Amazon. Just in terms of creating another place for customers to go, that they own, and can market additional products and services to in an easy way.

Being able to offer sellers another place to put sponsored products (auto accessories) right in front of relevant eyes. More along the lines of Google, whereas they are going to expand the internal ad network? IDK. Always interesting to watch things like this unfold.

Amazon's just a keystone away from a used automotive marketplace
upload_2019-9-13_11-42-16.png

The keystone that Amazon is missing is a channel partner to recruit and educate 22,000 franchised car dealers.

That being said, how does Amazon bring PRIME to used cars? How does Amazon sell new cars? The Costco method?

Reactions: mikesayre
How long before these guys get a nasty gram?

https://www.amazonautoplex.com
View attachment 4304
200.gif

Reactions: joe.pistell