• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Who has the BEST 'Photo Overlay'?

ed.brooks

Boss
Jan 15, 2010
Awards
First Name
Ed
There's been a very good discussion on photo booths at dealerships: What is the best looking setup/stage (floor, backdrop, lights) for taking pictures of vehicles in your opinion? Any great ideas out there???

Examples have run from the excellent and extravagant like Steven Toyota with it's infinity wall and Mercedes-Benz of Austin with it's cool turnstyle to Uncle Joe's highly workable and relatively inexpensive budget booth.

All of these have a few things in common: They require at least some budget and some space. For a lot of dealerships I've worked with the space issue would be the biggest and in some cases it would be insurmountable.

Which brings me to Photo Overlays. Very low budget and requiring no space at all they can really make a huge difference in your online merchandising. With low (or no) cost, I can't see how a dealer would have an excuse not to do it.

Here's one of my favorites:

b227061d0a0a00020047e53a45b27078.jpg

Joseph only uses the overlay on the "Hero Shot" - the first image. The angle really makes the car stand out on the classified sites.

What are the best overlays you've seen?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Having started that thread on photo booths, some of you might be aware of my setup. But I really enjoy our dealership's overlay, its simple, clean, matches our background, and has a strong call to action at the bottom. If fits perfect with the exterior shots, which are the only shots we use it on, and really frames in the car and puts the focus on it.

Used 2008 Honda Accord 2.4 For Sale | Manchester NH

This is actually one of my favorites. This was one of the first ones I ever did. This was done in 1998! It was a photo of the owner standing with his hands apart. Shrink it down and photoshop the sign in his hands. You would be surprised how many people comment on the "photos with the little guy in them"
5225P.jpg

This is actually one of my favorites. This was one of the first ones I ever did. This was done in 1998! It was a photo of the owner standing with his hands apart. Shrink it down and photoshop the sign in his hands. You would be surprised how many people comment on the "photos with the little guy in them"

That's great! One of the first ones we ever did years ago is very similar and has improved over the years to this below. The owner used to stand in front of each car and wave in the photos. It was his iconic thing in AutoTrader magazine back in the day that they have just stuck with it in their marketing.

16606669.jpg

Here are some examples that we have done at VinSolutions

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Kocourek kia overlay2.jpg
    Kocourek kia overlay2.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 399
  • mel hambelton overlay 16-48-41.jpg