• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Who is in charge at your dealership?

Apr 28, 2009
First Name
Jerry
I am often amazed at how many times I hear: "I can't get my salespeople to do that."

Well there's your problem right there! It's not a salesperson issue, it's a leadership issue! Get rid of the manager.

Occasionally we'll have a dealership jump off the Phone Ninjas program and it's usually a case of the above. Below is a message I just got from one of my salespeople this morning and it's a classic case of poor leadership.

Some people are just destined to suck! Makes it easier for those who get it!

Poor Manager.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We see this quite a bit in the DMS world, dealers who want to change and we will be saving them $10K per month but someone on their staff has made a threat to quit if they change. My response is always, "Are they the only person out there that can do that job" Or like you said "Who owns the dealership?" I applaud the dealers who lead and will include their staff in the decision making but they also make it very clear why they are changing.

Reactions: 2 people
I saw this approach to this problem: Money. As in Pay Plan. The GM took back commission and bonused it to the staff ONLY if they did what she required. AND she did the same to the managers--if they wanted All Their Money, then their people had to do All Theie Work. I have put it this way for years now: "We hire people to DO a job, but they DO the job we PAY them to do. Which are often very different." Pay Plan Pay Plan Pay Plan. They will follow the money. I guarantee it.

Reactions: 3 people
I saw this approach to this problem: Money. As in Pay Plan. The GM took back commission and bonused it to the staff ONLY if they did what she required. AND she did the same to the managers--if they wanted All Their Money, then their people had to do All Theie Work. I have put it this way for years now: "We hire people to DO a job, but they DO the job we PAY them to do. Which are often very different." Pay Plan Pay Plan Pay Plan. They will follow the money. I guarantee it.

100% absolutely agree- if you want to get someone's attention it's all about the pay-plan! Every good F&I Manager works a pay-plan. I also agree if your management staff say they "can't train salespeople" I say fire the manager!

Becky Chernek
Chernek Consulting, LLC
F&I Coach
404-276-4026 (Direct)

This is an interesting topic. It is easy to say "fire the sales manager" when the tail is wagging the dog. This is especially true when policies that are proven to yield results do not. I suggest that in a lot of cases the sales manager is coming up short because he or she had never had any proper training and is likely a promotion from the sales floor where they may not have done some of the things they are asking the sales team to do now. In short instead of terminating the manager take a look at how much training they have had. It may be a leadership problem as discussed on this thread but it may also be more of a knowledge problem where the manager may, in fact, need more training that the salesperson. Take a look before you leap- you may be surprised.

Reactions: 1 person
It all starts at the top - develop a CULTURE of positivity and training (in this instance) and the sales people will have no other choice but to fall in line.

If they don't want to fall in line - I take a line from Bruce Kimbrell's DSES Keynote last year (he's a head honcho at Disney) & "Encourage them to find happiness [employment] elsewhere."

You don't need unwarranted negativity in