• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Why arent manufacturers adjusting CSI expetations.

JohnScott

Boss
Aug 23, 2009
First Name
ME inc
Its interesting to me that manufacturers/dealerships who are currently running much leaner operations than they were a year ago have not adjusted their expectations as far as CSI is concerned.

Lets be honest, if you were expecting a certain performance level with 20 employees you're not going to be able to provide the same service with 15 people.

John,

Please don't take my comments the wrong way, but I don't agree with you. Should the customer experience suffer just because times are tough? It's all the more reason to make the customer experience even better. Find a way to do that with less, and watch a manufacturer/dealership prosper.

John,

Should the customer experience suffer just because times are tough?

The reason its suffering there are fewer employees, not because employees are saying f-it....times are tough.

If you run a five star hotel with 5 porters and then have to eliminate three your customer service is going to suffer.

If a salesperson comes to the back to set up an appointment to have an accesory put on a car they've just sold but cant get it done for a few days because they only have one detailer customer service is going to suffer.

Understanding this one would think manufacturers and dealers would adjust their CSI expectations.

This really isnt a personal issue for me, but I do see it affecting different departments.

If you run a five star hotel with 5 porters and then have to eliminate three your customer service is going to suffer.

If the hotel had to let eliminate two porters it's probably due to the fact that fewer customers are visiting, thus it should be able to provide the same level of service with fewer porters.

If a salesperson comes to the back to set up an appointment to have an accesory put on a car they've just sold but cant get it done for a few days because they only have one detailer customer service is going to suffer.

Is this a one off issue that happened in your dealership or does it happen on a regular basis?

In my opinion, you have a negative perception of the state of our industry and it's effecting your attitude. If you truly believe the customer should expect less from us, then that's probably what you're going to deliver. If I had a customer picking up a car and I could not get an accessory installed, I would explain to the customer the situation and then offer to pick-up their car at a later date to have the work completed. If handled properly one could still achieve a high CSI rating.

In tough times it can be difficult to maintain a positive attitude. Once negativity sets in, it's only going to prevent you from achieving success.

I know this is going to sting when you read what I've written, but before you respond back to me, I would like you to go read this: Attitude

My favorite line: "I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me, and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you ... we are in charge of our Attitudes."

Once you and every other employee in your dealership starts to believe that you can provide your customers with a higher level of satisfaction, then you'll start making that happen. Be a leader and lead the charge in your dealership for a greater level of customer satisfaction. We can all do a little more.

Here's a nice little story that drives home the point: Make a Difference

I hope I made a difference!

The only issue I have with the current CSI survey vs. the economy are the manufacturers who pulled all their money to help us keep a loaner car fleet running, but still grades you on whether you put the customer in a loaner or not.

If the hotel had to let eliminate two porters it's probably due to the fact that fewer customers are visiting, thus it should be able to provide the same level of service with fewer porters.

In my opinion, you have a negative perception of the state of our industry and it's effecting your attitude. If you truly believe the customer should expect less from us, then that's probably what you're going to deliver. !

You're not getting it Jerry, its a simple numbers game.

Check out time does not change because times are slow so you will still have the mad rush at 10oclock only now you have only 2 porters, not 5. So yes, no matter how much you smile, or how much you do for the customer....customer service is going to suffer.

See Alex post.

Its not a matter of employeees having shitty attitudes, its a simple man power issue. Its certain categories, like the one Alex mentioned that concern me. Not the did someone say hello to you issues.

Last edited:
See Alex post.

I get what you're saying, and so does Jerry, but I agree with Jerry. I was simply saying that there is one CSI area I don't think OEM's have taken the time to think through.

Yes, there is a lack of staffing across all dealerships these days, but the customer experience should be no different. Find ways to change your process to compensate for other lacks.

Find ways to change your process to compensate for other lacks.

Like canceling free wash? or tell the customer its going to be 2 hours instead of an hour and half?

I get what you guys are saying, and its never been about attitude, but about the parts of CSI that are not attitude related but more man power related that need to be adjusted.
If you think 3 guys can provide the same service as 5 why would a dealership have 5 to begin with?

None of this is an attitude issue, or a concious decision on the part of people working not to work as hard, especially considering everyone is working harder and doing the jobs that other people used to do.

Its a simple matter of some specific categories of CSI not being adjusted to take into consideration the leaner work force.

Now of course there are issues of attitude, Im certain that a tech-leader whos had is bonus cut is not going to be that happy-whether that becomes an customer service issue is up to the tech.

Since this seem to be revolving around MY attitude, or what you percieve to be MY attitude let me add that I have only had one 9 with all the rest being 10's for my CSI.

This aint about me.

Last edited: