• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Why is Video so difficult?

Clint,

Take off your car guy hat and go internet shopping for a swimming pool.

You're doing homework, your not going to buy today. Imagine you landed on a local pool dealer's page and saw helpful & insightful video(s). As the weeks pass & the weather improves, you'd probably go back to their website more often than the others. You're not going to make up your mind based on what you see, you've used the internet to decide which store is for you and to prepare yourself for the visit.

HTH
Joe

Reactions: timmydjames
Thank you for posting this. I watched a few of their videos. Very systematic approach. I was able to tell that they know what they are doing and what they are after.

I have a question about doing video walk-around presentations. Should I post these on my website, or should I do these if I have a customer that I am working with over the phone?

I can see the benefit of posting them on my website, and I can also see the down side of doing this. I often time wonder if I am creating a website that leaves absolutely NO reason for a customer to ever call me or drop in to browse through my inventory. They have every possible piece of information that they could want from my website. On the other hand, I would be the only one doing this in my market. It would certainly separate me from the others.

Hey Clint no problem, those guys have a great system down. I would post videos on your Youtube channel first and then embed them on your website or any other sites, emails, for the optimum coverage. Let your shoppers view them wherever they are, you can send them links directly to your VDP page with the videos embedded there for them to view. I wouldn't worry about giving customers info overload today, they crave it, besides we aren't hunting anymore as dealers on the internet - we're fishing, and the best bait is loads of relevant content (photos, videos, detailed info, etc). Texting youtube videos is very easy as well and gets you that invaluable mobile number to follow up and set an appointment. HTH

You should definitely have a live walkaround video for your inventory VDP Pages as well as using them for lead response emails. I've studied the impact of Live Inventory Videos versus Stitched Photo Inventory Videos for more than 5 years and Live Inventory Videos consistently average around 600% More Engagement than Stitched Photo. 600% is a big deal and though there is more time involved to shoot a video walkaround versus just taking photos for your VDP Pages, that time does equate to increased turn (more sales). At FlickFusion Video, we've put a lot of thought into how we can make the process of shooting walkaround videos (for inventory VDP Pages & for Lead Response Videos Emails) "easier" and "more effective".

-- moderator removed HUGE "what our product does" sales pitch --

My main point of emphasis is that "yes" it may take a little time to shoot a live video, but because of the impact that live videos have on your sales (inventory VDP Pages & video emails) this IS going to be the next big thing and if you aren't investigating how to fit this into your processes yet, you have already fallen behind. I think it is great that this question was posed in the forum and I'm excited to see some of the responses. Great work everyone...keep digging!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I those were the responses I was expecting and HOPING to get. I have a video tab already set up on my new website. It is currently running the "stitched" video only because the website is not 100% done.

When the site is actually done, the video tab is going to be the default and customers will actually click to see photos. The videos will then be replaced with walk around video and no more stitched videos.

I basically wanted to check in to see if I hit my head or if I was on the right track.

Thanks for the responses.

Well, I those were the responses I was expecting and HOPING to get. I have a video tab already set up on my new website. It is currently running the "stitched" video only because the website is not 100% done.

When the site is actually done, the video tab is going to be the default and customers will actually click to see photos. The videos will then be replaced with walk around video and no more stitched videos.

I basically wanted to check in to see if I hit my head or if I was on the right track.

Thanks for the responses.
I would keep the stitched videos if they are automatically loaded onto a youtube channel and provide a linkback to your website VDP, like Dealer.com's, that gives you some serp boost with relevant keyword patterns for that vehicle and your site, not much for any viewing value but good for your site SEO. If the stitched videos aren't linked to youtube then I'd kill them. I would then ONLY highlight the real walkaround videos on your SRP and VDP inventory pages once they're ready.

View attachment 2398

Recent article over on marketing charts states - Video considered Difficult, but Effective.

The study finds that videos are a particularly challenging content type to create, although respondents also see value in them.

Who isn't an advocate of video for content and personalize communication? But let's face it, it's not always easy. We've posted many articles over on the blog around how to utilize video and make it work for your dealership. It's why I'm a huge fan of, and consult with Walkaround Video by Authntk.

My question is, if you're not using video, why aren't you? What's your main obstacle in the way?

If you are using video, what tools or services are you using and what type of effective content are you producing/creating?

According to your image, video is second most effective. First is case study. Cost of producing a case study is nearly zero and it is most effective. Cost and difficulty of video is very high and it is second most effective. Create more case studies :)

Reactions: William Bryant
It's hard to do walkaround videos when you're selling cars because it takes a lot of time. I've trained numerous salespeople and managers on walkaround processes at their stores. All love it at first, love seeing their videos on youtube getting some views, love when customers recognize them from a video they watched online, but very few every stick with it. Biggest reason is the lack of perceived value and return. If you're at a high volume 200+ units a month store, I'll bet you would not stick with it. The ramp up time to get good at it and get in a rhythm is too long, after a few weeks or months at the bottom of the board in sales most give up and concentrate on getting more ups.

However if you do have a boutique type of store, or you're at more of a niche dealership, it does work very well if you have a solid process and a team effort.

Check out Mid-towne Autocenter, they have a solid process down, a team effort, and have been doing great walkaround videos for years.
https://www.youtube.com/user/mtacautos/videos

View attachment 2399

What's the point of doing videos if each of them has literally one view?

That's a great reason why many don't stick with it.

They focus too much on the granular details of their work and not the greater good.

The team at Mid-Towne do walkaround videos of every vehicle they have in stock no matter what, why? Because that '98 Taurus SHO for $2,650 might be unworthy in your eyes, but to that 17 year old kid who saved up for 5 years to buy their first car its a total cream-puff. Another way to look at it is it only takes 1 view to sell a car.

That's a great reason why many don't stick with it.

They focus too much on the granular details of their work and not the greater good.

The team at Mid-Towne do walkaround videos of every vehicle they have in stock no matter what, why? Because that '98 Taurus SHO for $2,650 might be unworthy in your eyes, but to that 17 year old kid who saved up for 5 years to buy their first car its a total cream-puff. Another way to look at it is it only takes 1 view to sell a car.

It depends. It's really hard to make an absolute statement. Greater good consists of granular details.

Reactions: William Bryant