• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Why Yelp should Seriously Eat S*^&% and Die

I was thinking if Yelp is being a pain in the ass for claiming rooftops, you could always try a citation syndication service like Yext. I know Yext sounds so g'ddamn awful, but they do a pretty good job at hijacking listings and changing them on the fly. The issue is obviously pay to play for Yext, and "Yext" essentially "owns" the listings. Just a thought if you need them fixed.

I have never had much success from the e-mail templet asking for a review. I usually just have the sales person ask for it at the store. Something like "while i'm finishing up the paperwork is there any reason you couldn't give me a perfect review? if the say no great and ask them if they would mind doing it in the store, and if not you might find out something you didn't quite do right and you can fix it and possibly prevent it from getting online.

I have never had much success from the e-mail templet asking for a review. I usually just have the sales person ask for it at the store. Something like "while i'm finishing up the paperwork is there any reason you couldn't give me a perfect review? if the say no great and ask them if they would mind doing it in the store, and if not you might find out something you didn't quite do right and you can fix it and possibly prevent it from getting online.

Matthew, I believe you would enjoy reading this thread. It's more around the topic of when and how to obtain reviews. http://forum.dealerrefresh.com/threads/getting-online-reviews.1409/

Let's keep this discussion going and geared towards Yelp.

This subject is very dear to my heart. We have focused on csi and online reputation for the past 5 years and have excelled and had great success. We have won Dealerrater used car DOTY nationally in 12 and the state award for 13 and 14 and our only online prescence that we struggle with is none other than "yelp.com". My main gripe is that they consistently filter out 95% of our positive reviews, leaving behind only the negatives. We also fell victim to paying them 300/month in hopes that they would not filter out authentic positive reviews. That did not happen.

One thing about their algorithm that unsettles me is that they claim to filter out reviews from people that have never reviewed any other business prior. Sounds reasonable, except for they filter out those positive one like that and have left negatives that fit that profile. They also have filtered out positive reviews from "yelpers" that have reviewed many different businesses. Can't win.

On a side note... my heart did sink a little a few years ago when I realized that Apple started using yelp for their map app.

Evan, I have been keeping tabs on Yelp for Auto Dealers since about 2010. Whoever or whatever led you to believe that advertising with Yelp would influence their filtering algorithm to your dealership's benefit must have been misguided. Why would Yelp do that? The advertising component has nothing to do with the reviews. Reviews are user generated content that Yelp is constantly evaluating for legitimacy. Reviews are one the primary reasons people (like me) rely on the site. The advertising model is simply a means for businesses to gain exposure with people using the site. Yelp has nothing to gain by using its user reviews model to bully businesses into advertising. That would delegitimize the user reviews.