• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Youtube Pre-Roll

I have been doing a lot of youtube preroll for my clients for the last 6-8 months and have stopped doing pre-roll via any other media outlets. I have had the greatest success using a client's remarketing list along with search terms. Viewers from the remarketing list watch about 75-100% of the videos. Just yesterday a BDC rep at a dealership stopped to tell me that a customer called saying they were watching our video on youtube and wanted to know about the special shown on the video- Needless to say they are sold 100% now.

Not to be a salesperson here, but if you like, contact me and I'll give you a hand with either setting it up or can offer my services to you.

C,

I'm not a big fan of pre-roll, I would recommend doing your own research by googling the pros and cons of pre-roll.
The fact that pro-roll is hated by a small percentage of end users and somewhat still effective does't go well with are strategic digital marketing strategies.

Are you doing any kind of video marketing right now C?
Video marketing can be very powerful when done the right way!

Frank,
Does the remarketing your company offer data and multiple 3rd party sets that can identify in-market shoppers and also know what vehicles they are shopping for with video ads?

Also does your company offer exclusive tracking to follow the dealers customers wherever they go on the Internet...serving the dealers ads to them at every turn with video ads you see below?

Here's a screen grab Frank.

remarketing.jpg

Definitely get pre roll going. CPC is way cheaper and if you already have commercial spots made for you, why not throw them up on there?

CPC is like $.10 - $.15

Link your youtube account so you can get a CTA on the video giving people something to click on

Read a study from Google/YouTube that the "skip ad" button is clicked over 75% of the time. I know that I personally am included in that figure, skip the ad every time. I have been playing around with the Trueview ad on YouTube and happy with the results. This is where your video ad is parked on the top right of the page where the other suggested videos are listed. Impressed with the views nd clicks to the website for $52

VideoAd.jpg

VideoAd2.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
Bill,

I have a question? Clicks to your website is showing 68, what's the bounce rate on the 68 click-throughs?

Also, why wouldn't you optimize your site for that search term (Bad Credit car loans in Richmond) (and many more terms and keywords) and add the video micro-formatted on the Toyota Richmond, VA | Auto Financing Department page?

That's what I would do, and I would make a series of videos about car loans to drive more traffic to the page!
Goodbye trueviews we got this:)

Great Video!

Buy A Car With Bad Credit In Richmond VA

Last edited:
I would be all over YouTube video pre-roll. If I had the resources to produce engaging ads.

Pre-roll is a top of the funnel digital marketing so I would use it mainly to raise awareness.

- 52 percent of consumers say that watching product videos makes them more confident in online purchase decisions. (source: Invodo)

When I skip a video pre-roll ad, it's because the ad didn't grab my attention within the first few seconds. The times that I didn't click the "skip ad" was when the first five seconds were engaging enough for me to want to continue watching.

Like most channels of advertising, pre-roll is interruptive and many times annoys people. Sometimes enough to undermine your branding. But if you do it well, you could be providing the viewer an engaging, even helpful break to someone that may lead to becoming a conversion or customer.

In the world of online/digital marketing, we've become accustom to a quick form conversion or a fast ROI that we often forget about raising awareness.

Bill

Also, why wouldn't you optimize your site for that search term (Bad Credit car loans in Richmond) (and many more terms and keywords) and add the video micro-formatted on the Toyota Richmond, VA | Auto Financing Department page?Buy A Car With Bad Credit In Richmond VA

Manny, great questions. This particular video was created to promote that specific special finance manager. Unfortunately he is no longer with the dealership so I will have to create another. Great idea to have a page and video on the site. This was actually a 60 second radio commercial that I used to create the video with using footage shot at the store. Not a bad video considering it was my first attempt at editing using iMovie :) When I uploaded the video to YouTube, I was given the option to promote it using TrueView. Having just been on a webinar the week prior about the topic, I figured I would give it a try. I'm satisfied with the results for the cost and would more than likely do it again with the right video.

I'm not a big fan of pre-roll, I would recommend doing your own research by googling the pros and cons of pre-roll.
The fact that pro-roll is hated by a small percentage of end user
I always find the argument that some people don't like pre-roll and find it annoying an interesting reason to avoid it as a way to advertise. Who are we kidding? Most people are annoyed with any advertising. Why do people DVR to avoid commercials? Or switch radio stations at commercial break. The fact remains if the message is interesting or relevant to you and your needs you listen to it. If not you ignore the ad or are annoyed by it.

In any case I think now that pre-roll on youtube is becoming the norm and not the exception people are getting used to it.If done correctly through retargeting or highly targeted campaigns you can get some very inexpensive branding.

Not many places you can get your name in front of an in market shopper and have them watch 5 to 30 seconds of a why buy from us message for 0.13 a viewing.

Reactions: 1 person
The fact that pro-roll is hated by a small percentage of end user
I always find the argument that some people don't like pre-roll and find it annoying an interesting reason to avoid it as a way to advertise. Who are we kidding? Most people are annoyed with any advertising. Why do people DVR to avoid commercials? Or switch radio stations at commercial break. The fact remains if the message is interesting or relevant to you and your needs you listen to it. If not you ignore the ad or are annoyed by it.

In any case I think now that pre-roll on youtube is becoming the norm and not the exception people are getting used to it.If done correctly through retargeting or highly targeted campaigns you can get some very inexpensive branding.

Not many places you can get your name in front of an in market shopper and have them watch 5 to 30 seconds of a why buy from us message for 0.13 a viewing.

Paul,

How often do you change your video pre-roll?