• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Youtube Pre-Roll

C,

I'm not a big fan of pre-roll, I would recommend doing your own research by googling the pros and cons of pre-roll.
The fact that pro-roll is hated by a small percentage of end users and somewhat still effective does't go well with are strategic digital marketing strategies.

Manny,

Not a small percentage hates it, I think everyone hates it!, but to Paul Ray's point--it is what it is.

I've learned to live with it.

But I'm interested on knowing why you think pre-roll doesn't go well with other digital marketing strategies.

Reactions: 1 person
Manny,

Not a small percentage hates it, I think everyone hates it!, but to Paul Ray's point--it is what it is.

I've learned to live with it.

But I'm interested on knowing why you think pre-roll doesn't go well with other digital marketing strategies.

That's not true - I'll repost my comments from the earlier.

I would be all over YouTube video pre-roll. If I had the resources to produce engaging ads.

---Pre-roll is a top of the funnel digital marketing so I would use it mainly to raise awareness.

- 52 percent of consumers say that watching product videos makes them more confident in online purchase decisions. (source: Invodo)

When I skip a video pre-roll ad, it's because the ad didn't grab my attention within the first few seconds. The times that I didn't click the "skip ad" was when the first five seconds were engaging enough for me to want to continue watching.

Like most channels of advertising, pre-roll is interruptive and many times annoys people. Sometimes enough to undermine your branding. But if you do it well, you could be providing the viewer an engaging, even helpful break to someone that may lead to becoming a conversion or customer.

In the world of online/digital marketing, we've become accustom to a quick form conversion or a fast ROI that we often forget about raising awareness.
---

Be careful not to get tunnel vision and focus OR THINK that one channel of advertising / marketing is going to get the job done. Would I run Pre-Roll without have the same campaign message amplified across other mediums? Likely not.

Has anyone seen the Loctite #winatglue campaign?

This was aired on Jimmy Fallon last night, I was rolling. I was on Youtube this morning and it was a Pre-Roll video. Guess what I didn't do?? I didn't click the Skid Ad button. And the next time I need some industrial glue, there's a high chance i'll be purchasing Loctite.

In order to engage on video (especially Pre-Roll) you need to be off-the-wall and memorable. You need to have a strong campaign. NOT the typical $299 lease payment, home of Tires Forever program - family owned for 1000 years #CRAP.

*Though I bet a good agency could potentially come-up with an engaging and funny message around Tires For Life. :

STOP measuring the performance of your marketing / traffic driving / branding campaigns based on 1 channel, one frequency alone. You'll NEVER be as successful as you could be if you do not.

It just makes no since why anybody would want to invest in paid video ads when you can do it all organically...

Manny, your SEO work is one tool in the tool box. Think bigger... think of SEO as the hub and preroll as one of the spokes. For example, Video preroll plants a seed in a shopper's mind and weeks later, the shopper goes to google trying to recall that dealer ad.

BAM! Your aggressive organic SEO work connects to everything and brings in the lowest cost per visitor too.

Last edited:
Manny, your SEO work is one tool in the tool box. Think bigger... think of SEO as the hub and preroll as one of the spokes. For example, Video preroll plants a seed in a shopper's mind and weeks later, the shopper goes to google trying to recall that dealer ad.

BAM! Your aggressive organic SEO work connects to everything and brings in the lowest cost per visitor too.

People, by 2016, will spend more time watching videos, online, than TV. A few days ago, I saw a dealership produced walk-around video on the ProMaster van. This definitely won't win any awards (actually I had to laugh): ProMaster Video.

"This is the 15 hunred". This is a small country dealership west of Ft. Worth. It had over 14,000 views! Pre-roll? What is important is that you are doing video.
Joe, did you notice on that lease link the dealership controlled 100% of organic search and it continued on the second page?

Thank you Joe!

People, by 2016, will spend more time watching videos, online, than TV. A few days ago, I saw a dealership produced walk-around video on the ProMaster van. This definitely won't win any awards (actually I had to laugh): ProMaster Video.

"This is the 15 hunred". This is a small country dealership west of Ft. Worth. It had over 14,000 views! Pre-roll? What is important is that you are doing video.
Joe, did you notice on that lease link the dealership controlled 100% of organic search and it continued on the second page?

The goal is to push 3rd party leads like truecar, autotrader, cars, cargurus and edmunds off of page one too Doug!
Ha ha!

Here's one that was done Mar 28, 2014

Not the best, but still very effective with 3000 views so far.

[h=1]2014 Ford F150 vs Dodge RAM 1500 Review Which Is Better?[/h]

Last edited:
Yago, Sorry it took me so long to reply, we have been slammed lately. Right now I have only been dabbling with it using very specific targeting. Just rotating 2 videos at the moment but we will be rolling out some more tests next month. I still feel SEO based video is the preferred method but I think Pre-roll is useful as long as it is not over kill and as long as you dial back how often it is shown to each person.