• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Low Cost Live Chat Software

I want to thank all of the 3 chat companies I mentioned for contacting me. This is an excellent resource to start conversation, get feedback and thoughts on vendors, etc, and create working relationships. I have chosen a vendor based on this forum, the feedback and threads alone. I have been in this industry for 20 years and seen all types of character, personalities and love for the game (both on the dealer and vendor level). Times are ever changing but the love for the biz and passion shines through. And that to me separates some from others, whether you're old school or a green pea to the industry. :) Thank you DealerRefresh and members

Michele,

Good luck with everything. Dealer Refresh should be a weekly visit for all automotive sales professionals.

Best,

Marcw,

Congrats on taking the next step to improve your dealership using technology. Congrats on your first post here on DR also. Glad to have you! I am always curious who everyone chooses and why. I checked out your website to find a company I have never heard of. Not a big deal chat companies are popping up everywhere. Small suggestion, remove the request to ask for a name before the chat starts. We have tons of data that shows that the more steps you put people through the less likely they will chat. Yes, even a name. Some people feel obligated to put their real name and don't want to and others will put a fake name just to chat. Its meaningless.

Other than that, I challenge you to experiment a little. Move the icon and do some A/B testing to see how it effects how many people start a chat with you. Remember people read left to right. You could even see a dramatic difference in moving the chat icon to the left side of your header. Typically we get lazy towards the end of our scan to the right. I know I am digging hard into minor details but I have seen it make a difference on too many accounts. I also suggest using a drop-in of sorts. Majority of chats are initiated from the movement of the drop-in. The guys car carchat24 can probably back me up on this. If the chat offers some sort of drop-in I would highly recommend using it.

Anyways, I would love to hear why you chose the company you did and how it is doing for you so far. I am sure they wouldn't mind a shout out anyway. I just viewed their website. Is it free?

Marcw- Welcome to DealerRefresh and congrats on your first post

Ryan- You hit the nail on the head with the need for a "drop-in" "auto invite" "pop up" etc. We had a dealer feel that the auto invite was too "pushy" and it resulte in almost 80% less leads. This is a must in my opinion.

What methods are you guys seeing with the best results as far as getting customers to utilize the chat? I've got live help available icons on every sales page, and have also tried various popup graphics with incentives etc. All with very little success.

Chris,

Are you having little success getting your visitors to participate in the chat OR turn them into workable leads.

We have found that the majority of our leads are generated through our pro-active greeting. I actually disabled it for a dealer as they thought it was too aggressive and chats volume dropped 80%. If you want to compare your numbers to some other dealers there is the ever famous 24/7 chat thread: http://forum.dealerrefresh.com/f43/...port-staff-leads-case-study-2-months-505.html

There is always the 30 day trial (shameless plug).

All the best

Our research is proving that interaction with chat is HEAVILY dependent upon numerous indigenous factors including the brand and the location of the dealership as it relates directly to demographics of your users. So simply comparing your numbers to another dealer should be coupled with a comparison against these factors.

By interaction, I mean initial engagement. We plan to release our findings to the community.

On a separate note - I just completed my 5 month buying cycle for a new car. I had some very good experiences as a consumer utilizing chat, but also some horrific experiences. It seems that dealers have some ways to go to effectively implement a CHAT PROCESS in regards to staffing and follow-up. Perhaps another post is needed on this topic.

I wanted to share my experience with Website Alive Live chat (www.websitealive.com) as I haven't really seen it used in the auto space (although really haven't been looking either). First off, I found this company as I had been looking for a mobile solution to live chat as I man it myself and hop around from store to store. I searched for a live chat i-phone application and at the time this was one of the only companies to have it available. Since then I haven't looked as I haven't had too. The service is $29 dollars per month and you can have it on multiple websites and customize it to your liking. On our website I have two different configurations with a "30 minute guarantee" and regular chat where we get basic inquiries. I also have this on two other sites for the same price. You can set up the alert to your i-phone and computer, or isolate either one. I believe they have applications for Android and other mobile devices.

Here's a screen shot of it in action:
livechatphoto.png

It does the job I need it to so I thought to share for others to explore,

Last edited: