• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

ZMOT is the Stupidest, Most Brilliant Idea Ever!

Ed,

Google's ThinkAuto conference on ZMOT introduced me to John Ross, CEO of Shopper Sciences....Simply put... Of all of the "touch points" A shopper makes in their journey, none influence the final decision more than the visit to the dealership.

Granted, if your stimulus and ZMOT blows, you'll never see the up, but, from my seat, visibility is a separate marketing task. Once visibility is in place, My John Ross/ZMOT lesson is that if the visit to the dealership is the consumers strongest influencer, then all ZMOT content needs to put all of my shoppers "un-answered worries" to rest (is the sales rep pushy, is the dealer reputable, will the manager be there for me if the car I buy is a junker, what's the warranty, if my credit is fair, will they screw me... Etc)

There are dealers out there now that communicate this message very well. SuzukiofWiticha.com, auctionDirectUSA.com, carsense.com, carmax and others. The winds of change are among us, enter in…the Game Changers.

This is how I see ZMOT.

BTW,

If this "FMOT TRUMPS EVERYTHING" logic is correct, then, the single most important tool of 2012 may be Jeff Kerschner's HookLogic http://www.dealerrefresh.com/beat-the-dealer-competition-hooklogic-webinar/

Z
MOT Marketing is all about trying to make the shoppers short list of finalists. The HookLogic tool may be "that last little push" a shopper needs to commit to a dealer visit.

FYI:
ZMOT (internet shopping)
FMOT (Dealer Visit)

I'm still sayin' tougher and tougher. Here's why; I asked myself 3 questions. Here they are with my answers.
1.) Is the number of shoppers increasing?​
NO​
2.) Are consumers likely to start visiting more stores per purchase?​
NO - in fact the number of store visits could continue to shrink​
3.) Is the number of dealers that "Get It" increasing?​
YES - The number is still too small, but it is absolutely growing

To me this means one thing, the stores that get it today had best not become complacent. If you don't continue to 'up your game', you'll be on the losing side of the equation in no time.

Ed, Why would you think the number of shoppers are going down? Ten years ago, to get information, customers had to go from store to store. With the internet, customers do their shopping online. They can obtain all of the information, they need, and do it in a much more efficient manner. Still, the average customer spends an amazing 18 to 19 hours, doing this.

Store visits are down because they have made up their minds, or narrowed it to one or two stores. You gotta hook em online.

More stores getting it? "Screw the internet" and "That shit don't work" are common themes. I hear this from GMs that my Internet department outsold by two or three to one (in the same market). That was the volume department in a group of 100 stores. Even the stores in that group won't change with the data in front of them. Think it might be profits? That dealership is set for an all time record, after over 30 years.

Ed, Why would you think the number of shoppers are going down? Ten years ago, to get information, customers had to go from store to store. With the internet, customers do their shopping online. They can obtain all of the information, they need, and do it in a much more efficient manner. Still, the average customer spends an amazing 18 to 19 hours, doing this.

Store visits are down because they have made up their minds, or narrowed it to one or two stores. You gotta hook em online.

More stores getting it? "Screw the internet" and "That shit don't work" are common themes. I hear this from GMs that my Internet department outsold by two or three to one (in the same market). That was the volume department in a group of 100 stores. Even the stores in that group won't change with the data in front of them. Think it might be profits? That dealership is set for an all time record, after over 30 years.
Doug, I didn't say the number of people shopping for cars was going down, but I did say that number isn't increasing. I did say the number of store visits may continue to decrease (for all the great reasons you cited).

As for more stores 'Getting It', it's a slow process, but I think we are gaining ground. Maybe I'm just an optimist. :)

Reactions: 1 person
Doug, I didn't say the number of people shopping for cars was going down, but I did say that number isn't increasing. I did say the number of store visits may continue to decrease (for all the great reasons you cited).

As for more stores 'Getting It', it's a slow process, but I think we are gaining ground. Maybe I'm just an optimist. :)

Ed, it is harder to determine the number of shoppers that are online. I think that the internet, because of convenience, has increased the length of time customers spend between initial interest and buying.

Because of the very nature of vAuto, your clients have already accepted certain premises that elude the average dealer or GM.

imagesCA0TFSMD.jpg

Larry Bruce

icon_idiot.gif

Reactions: 2 people
The ZMOT folks see traditional advertising as Stimulus because the ZMOT model starts with Stimulus (many times external) – the automotive buying model doesn’t. It starts with recognition of a need (almost always internal).

Ed -- where does "keeping-up with the Jones's" fit into the ZMOT model? That would be an external stimulus, no?