• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

QR Codes - In or Out?

Wondering if we should start this thread over...

Anyway,

It seems that maybe, just maybe the QR is getting a little more action that what it did when we started this thread moons ago. Maybe not.

Here's a good supportive post over to iMedia.

How the QR code boom will affect you!

"a recent study shows that QR popularity and use has skyrocketed. Between June 2011 and June 2012, consumer QR code scanning rose by 400 percent. June 2012 also saw an average of 120 scans per minute and 4 million first-timers scanning QR codes."

"QR code use in the U.S. is far ahead of Europe, with almost 20 percent of American consumers engaging in code scanning."

"Pitney Bowes QR codes use survey shows that magazines encourage the highest levels of QR code interaction (15 percent), closely followed by posters and mail (both 13 percent)."

Read more at How the QR code boom will affect you - iMediaConnection.com

True or just another study over inflated to support a motive?

I thought by now, QR's would've found their way to the grave. It's amazing how long it sometimes takes for simple technology to find its place.

I'll admit - I've found myself scanning a few more codes over the last 6 months than ever before.

Why?
1. More awareness
2. Apps are better
3. Moved the app to my main screen on my phone (baking it into the OS would give advantage)
4. Marketing are getting better in how they use the code.

Would you agree with these 4 statements, disagree or add to it?

Interesting update. I'm curious about how Google Glass will augment/modify/replace QR codes with its promised recognition capabilities (faces will be just the beginning).

Perhaps people will be able to pay Google to suggest something to Glass wearers when they and the device see something in real life that Glass can recognize. Perhaps brands will trademark distinctive colors or shapes. What make QR codes so off-putting is the amount of effort you have to put into getting an accurate scan, but maybe the technology just hasn't quite caught up yet?

QR codes at our dealership have always been a dud. Now that we've got some Subaru signage to keep track of, though, maybe we'll see a change in that. I'm not hopeful, however. I've still not met a single person who actively scans them when they're interested in learning more about something. The process is just too awkward, and I get the sense that people are suspicious of the process.

I've still not met a single person who actively scans them when they're interested in learning more about something. The process is just too awkward, and I get the sense that people are suspicious of the process.

You think that scanning a QR code is awkward on a brochure? How awkward would it be to try to scan this one?

The-future-is-now-tattoos-of-QR-codes4.jpg

I'd love to know where that goes...

"My phone number? Oh Sure... SCAN MY NECK!" ;)

Reactions: 1 person