• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

QR Codes - In or Out?

That is TOO funny and so true. I actually experimented with QR codes in the newspaper through a program the paper offered. There were some hits that week, however, no related traffic on the vehicles posted. When the newspaper rep came back to go over the performance/results, we all took turns scanning the QR Codes and half of us couldn't get our apps to recognize the code. If there had been a camera there to capture the moment of 5 of us crowding around a small desk with the owner and general manager of a store, all trying to test out the next great idea, it would have been posted on YouTube and gone viral. Hilarious!

Reactions: 1 person
Bucharest Metro walls simulating a library where you can scan a QR Code and download the books

Great way to promote reading and also a great way for an innovative and almost free for a dealer to offer a "library" at the service waiting area.

Attachments

• 7414.jpg
    7414.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 5
Call me when the phone support is there.

Apple isn't supporting it. They're using Passbook.
The cheap, crappy Android phones aren't supporting it (and those that do are subject to carrier restrictions, as Verizon pulled on one of the Nexus phones).
Nokia, basically Microsoft's house brand for phones now, does support it...but how many of those are selling?

That's one 800-pound gorilla and a few 400-pound ones sitting the dance out, at least here in the US.

Latest studies"

1 in 5 Americans Say They’ve Used a QR Code

PRS-Uses-of-QR-Codes-Jan2013.jpgPitneyBowes-QR-Code-Usage-by-Country-Jan2013.jpg

19% of American consumers have used a QR code, per results [pdf] from a Pitney Bowes survey released this month. Of the 4 countries analyzed by the study, the US ranked first in QR code use, ahead of the UK (15%), Germany (14%), and France (12%). While on average, 15% of consumers across those countries report having used a QR code, that percentage rises to 27% among 18-34-year-olds.

Click here to read more and to see more charts

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
QR Codes are one of the most under utilized, useful pieces of adaptable technology available. In our business (OEM daily tracking CSI platforms) we are seeing a strong uptick in QR code feedback response globally. That said, as a vendor, we are still contemplating and watching uptake to see if QR actually sticks as main stream. It seems daily the pendulum swings on this!

I have been playing around with a new online poll app, Polar. It was designed by Luke Wroblewski who was one of the keynote speakers at DSES this past year. It's pretty easy to use by designing a poll with 2 answers for which people can vote on. Out of boredom a few weeks ago I created one asking "Do You Scan Qr Codes" with the 2 available answers being yes or no.. Currently "no" has a commanding lead of 76 to 31.
qr-code-poll.jpg

These polls can be created pretty fast and can be shared from within the app on social media sites. Voters do not need to have the app installed in order to cast a vote. The results are only 107 total votes, but with 2/3rds of the count voting "no" I guess that can be considered somewhat statistically accurate!