• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Online Shopping to Online Buying

Actually, NO they won't ALL have to do ESTIMATED values. That is ONE thing that will help the process be fully online. I'm sorry you don't understand why I can't fully disclose what I know on your time schedule. I only joined the conversation because I DO know that the process is here, and WILL be available in very short time. And no, as of right now this business model is NOT a widget you add to your dealer website, it is a stand alone consumer portal, although conversations have been had to make a widget an option. Who is your website provider and I can let you know if they are one of the ones that have asked for it.

Carbase.

I understand why you can't fully disclose, I don't know why you jumped in before you can. I am not against a fully online purchase option for my customers. I just grow frustrated with the whole thing. There is a tiny handful of dealers that have managed to capture this small market, and it becomes the only thing that anyone wants to focus on. It is as if we are all fighting over the 2% of customers that want to buy online. Sure I believe this number will increase going into the future. My issue is that nobody can explain to me what I can do today, to accommodate this customer.

I have gone through the SCD experience. It sucks. It takes too long. It is too drawn out. I found myself wondering when the next screen was ever going to stop. I finally just left.

Car Lister, Vroom, Carvana, Shift Technologies, and the list goes on and on. They all have some cool features about them. I know that there is a push toward an exclusive online transaction. How are these companies going to attract more customers that are comfortable purchasing exclusively online? I don't know the answer. I am however interested.

Good luck to you and your company. I will look at what you have when it is ready.

What if an alien drove that same F-150 back to Zeta Reticuli?

If innovators were constantly afraid of low percentage risks, we wouldn't have electric appliances, cell phones, air travel, or F-150s to drive.

I understand your point @Bill Playford , but you didn't answer my question. This was a legitimate question, and that was one example (of hundreds) that I simply pulled out of mid air in about 5 seconds. Unexpected reconditioning will suck the profit out of a vehicle fast. What IS the answer to the question?

To be clear, I am not resisting change or saying this will never work. I am attempting to gather knowledge and understanding. My store is small, and I would love to be bigger. I would beta test absolutely any platform that a vendor would want to allow me to take on. I just need an understanding.

I understand your point @Bill Playford , but you didn't answer my question. This was a legitimate question, and that was one example (of hundreds) that I simply pulled out of mid air in about 5 seconds. Unexpected reconditioning will suck the profit out of a vehicle fast. What IS the answer to the question?

To be clear, I am not resisting change or saying this will never work. I am attempting to gather knowledge and understanding. My store is small, and I would love to be bigger. I would beta test absolutely any platform that a vendor would want to allow me to take on. I just need an understanding.

Let's forget about the abomination that is SCD for a bit (a glorified lead platform for resistant dealerships). What if the buy it now button was exclusive only to cash buyers who didn't have a trade? I'm not in the all or nothing camp. For me, this is all about gaining market share and retaining existing customers, just as it was while I was still in retail.

Let's forget about the abomination that is SCD for a bit (a glorified lead platform for resistant dealerships). What if the buy it now button was exclusive only to cash buyers who didn't have a trade? I'm not in the all or nothing camp. For me, this is all about gaining market share and retaining existing customers, just as it was while I was still in retail.

I see your point, and it is a good one. The question that I asked was in response to a post that talked about the shortcomings of other platforms and their lack of ability to handle a trade. I asked the question about trade in estimates vs. actual trade in vehicle condition. This was a real question that I asked, not a passively aggressive way to say that it won't work.

Buy it now for cash only that don't have a trade in? Maybe that would work! I don't know. What I do know is that the money that I make primarily comes from trade ins and my finance department. I will pay a customer more for a trade in than my competitor. This is what I do well. I believe that these two revenue streams can't be ignored as we ride into the future of our industry.

Last edited:
Clint's request is real. Who can help Clint with specifics and a plan of action tailored to his needs? :popcorn:

"Car Dealers are like snowflakes, no 2 are alike"
--Uncle Joe Rule #121

:unclejoe:Uncle Joe Rule #121:
"Just because it's a good idea doesn't mean it's going to work"

How many rulebooks are there?
Maybe you should publish it so we can peruse the collection :)

I'll say very simply and with lots of confidence that a third party, a to z, online buying solution will be in place by the end of 2016. Yes this includes vehicle selection, trade valuation and offer, secured financing, and menu based F&I product sales. All done online.
The problem is, I don't think that an A to Z, soup to nuts, solution is going to be the winning solution. I think it's much more likely that the winning solution will allow consumers to complete as much of the buying process online as they want and as much as makes sense for them. But very few consumers will buy completely online.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Stauning
The problem is, I don't think that an A to Z, soup to nuts, solution is going to be the winning solution. I think it's much likely to the winning solution will allow consumers to complete as much of the buying process online as they want and as makes sense for them. But very few consomers will buy completely online.

I guess time will tell.