• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Uncle Joe's Make Over Diary

I very rarely see this much activity from a shopper so I'm excited to see how it turns out.

IMO, You've described a small subset of the 40 million car sales each yr. Exactly how small/large is unknown. I'd reach out to your SME's to validate your "common paths into the store". It's important to building solutions that mutually work for buyer & seller.

[edit] Cars.com hired a firm called Conifer to conduct a ethnographic study of car shoppers. It was a wonderful resource, filled with great insights. Sadly, cars.com took it down. It was a pdf. If someone has it, post it. It's highly recc'd!

Are you looking for this one?

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ney-Report-2014.pdf+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

They also have the following:

The Digital Influence: HOW ONLINE RESEARCH PUTS AUTO SHOPPERS IN CONTROL
http://dealers.cars.com/assets/pdf/auto_marketing_digital_influence_study.pdf

Unrelated to Cars.come but much more recent:

2016 CAR BUYER JOURNEY
http://dealerlearningcenter.com/files/insights/pdf/2016CarBuyerJourneyStudyBrochureFINAL.pdf

and their other report with a few ethnographic summaries:

Car Buyer of the Future - March 2015
http://oemsolutions.agameautotrader...yer-of-the-Future_NAS-Client-Presentation.pdf

Reactions: joe.pistell
Observing my Brother... the car shopper. cont'd

Day 9. Websites # 16,17,18,19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 (>2 hrs)
My brother has locked on to 2 finalist and the winner is the make/model/trim that has the most features. What he does next is fascinating. He googles make/model/ and lands on a youtube make/model/ review from 'a knowledgeable guy with a camera'. This new video experience so connects with him that he watches about 8 videos (5-15 minute each). He shares a video with his wife, she finds it way too technical, my brother pivots and plays a review video produced by a gal, his wife liked the video a great deal.

Day 10. Websites # 26, 27, 28, 29 (1.5 hrs)
It's Saturday April 30th and my brother's had it with shopping and is ready to go. He intends to buy it today. Here is his battle plan.

He's used consumer reports/TrueCar to solicit an email price quote. 3 dealers replied instantly (he was impressed). He has a tradein to negotiate. He has a BlackBook & KBB quote. He was going to 2 dealers, but one dealer had 4.8 stars on google and they had the deepest selection of the trim he's interested in. He announces that "this is the best dealer to buy from". Now it's his plan to close the deal in one stop. (note: this dealer is 30 mins farther away, inventory depth and great reviews (and review volume) is what caused the up).

We're headed out the door to visit the dealer now. He's been watching several youtube review videos all am (including videos of the model he didn't pick).

Summary: 29 websites visited & 10.5 hrs later...
My brother is ready, the rep knows he's coming My brother has told me 10x "I'm not worried about $500-1000, I knows dealers need to survive, all I wants is an offer that's fair for both sides".

As I see it, my brother is a laydown. Now we'll see if the dealership f**ks up an easy sale.

More as it comes...

10 days, 29 websites & 10.5 hrs later... my brother is burning gas! :)

Shopper Overview:
My brother was a segment shopper (crossover SUV). His search criteria was: 'any crossover', most high tech toys (infotainment, safety systems), then price. He didn't have any anti-brand bias (i.e. "I won't buy a domestic'). He's your typical selfish shopper "I want the most for the least" ;-)

His prior SUV worked flawlessly, so he gave that brand preferential treatment :)

My take aways:
  1. He missed many research opportunities
  2. The Upslope is real
  3. YouTube was a closer
  4. Digital Retailing

#1). He missed many research opportunities
He under-explored "shopping by segment" and he under-explored trim/package/options opportunities. He relied on the content experts like Consumer Reports, Car & Driver & Motor Trend to drive his short list. The reason why he under-explored these 2 categories is because no site makes it easy for him to do it.

IMO, 3rd party sites like AT, Cars, cargurus, etc miss out on this opportunity. Not only can these sites help this shopper get deep into the details (if they want), but, when the shopper is way up on the top of the funnel, PRICE is almost always used simultaneously when evaluating ideas. IOW, 3rd party sites have the ability to incorporate real prices into the expert content.

#2). The Upslope is real
This chart* describes what it's like to shop for a car online.
upload_2016-5-1_10-23-54.png
I watched my brother start confused with little information (top left of chart). Then, as he invested time researching, he slid down the slope as he got more info and was less confused. Then, many websites later, I watched him spend more and more time researching but I could see him getting lost. HE WAS ON THE UPSLOPE. It was here that he kept asking me if there was a wizard that could guide him (IOW, the info he was gathering was making him more confused).

I saw it coming and wrote:
p.s. I see his conclusion coming as clear as day. He is going to be another shopper that will tire from the fragmented shopping UX and abandon the internet and go to the dealer to fill in the gaps. I see this behavior everywhere I look. It's why internet shoppers don't want Digital Retailing ...yet ;-)

*If you're as wacked as I am and and you want to explore this more, it's all over our forums and on the blog http://forum.dealerrefresh.com/threads/my-bizzare-world.464/

#3). YouTube was a closer
My brother found independent reviews on youtube late in his car shopping journey. For him, the reviews reinforced his decision and reduced his concerns that he hadn't made his best effort to buy the right car. Remember, my brother's on the upslope, so these videos were exactly what he needed to move forward... with confidence.

Note: Shopping is a task & I'm all about workflow. Workflow is all about context. My brother was on the upslope. It would be interesting to see how youtube car reviews influences shoppers in different stages in the workflow (and factor in their personas)

If you're interested, I asked my brother to send me his youtube history, here it is:

<--cool dealer made video!​

He used this to get his wife's interest

These were seen in 24hrs prior to the sale

#4). Digital Retailing
The day prior to the sale, my brother is stressing over time and schedules. He knows what he wants, the store he's going to buy it at. He's got a pre-arranged price from Consumer Reports/TrueCar. He's got a Black Book tradein value he likes. It's the end of the month and he's got to find a way to get it all done.

IS THERE A BETTER DIGITAL RETAILING CANDIDATE? Nope.
So I ask him, if you could buy it online right now, would you? He instantly answers "No... we haven't seen it yet. We haven't test driven it yet, what if I don't like the dealer?"

#BAM. There it is...
The benefits of a 'stress free ecommerce experience' are inferior to the benefits a dealer visit creates.

My Summary:
This user story contains all the nuance of what I see every day. When I build solutions, they are only as complex as the marketplace is. From a high level, I see internet shopping for a car is a cluster f**k and Digital Retailing's penetration rate is capped by a very complex journey that is not helped by an internet experience filled with gaps. Add to this the shoppers excitement of walking into a store and ending all this research.

Last edited:
To my vendor pals that yet to fail epically (as I have ;-). Here are the 3 pillars of success I hope to aspire to:

#1) "Innovation success begins and ends with a very very deep understanding of the shopper.”
-A.G. Lafley CEO of Proctor & Gamble
#8 of the top 1,000 most innovative companies

#2). "Customers often buy things because they have a problem they would like to solve…. If you understand the job, how to improve the product becomes obvious.”
-Dr Clayton Christensen
Inventor of "Disruptive Innovation" and strategic consultant to the who's who list of CEOs

And... when you have all that figured out, then the hard work starts:

#3). “Complexity is your enemy. Any fool can make something complicated. It is hard to make something simple.”
-Sir Richard Branson

Reactions: Jeff Kershner
My Brother's Burnin' Gas Follow up...

I asked him:
"In your opinion, where did you do most of your internet research & shopping... Home or Away from home?"

Answer:
80% home. 20% away from home.

I asked him:
While away from home, were you researching & shopping at work? On the go (i.e. mobile)?

Answer:
Almost always at work, in my office.

I asked him:
Did you use your smartphone for research or shopping? If so, how much?

Answer:
No. The screen's too small (5.7" Moto X Pure). His words: "the screens too small, I can't see anything on mobile" (IMO, in research mode, the desktop's screen real estate experience is superior to mobile)

Other notes:
My brothers research workflow looked like this.
  1. Choose Vehicle Class (i.e. segment)
  2. Use Consumer Reports reliability report and user feedback to remove bad performers (he often mentioned Dodge & Jeep's poor scores).
  3. Read reviews from content experts like MotorTrend, Car & Driver, etc (he's down to 2 make/models at this stage)
  4. OEM sites to compare features & trims
  5. TrueCar*, CarGuru, Google to find dealers, then...
    1. shopped car dealer sites (thinking about which dealer NOT to visit)
    2. Winner: Inventory depth & best dealer reviews
  6. Used Consumer Reports/TrueCar pricing service. He recieved 3 'real prices' from dealers
  7. Tradein: Wife went to KBB, he got a BlackBook quote from the dealer's website (interestingly, he considered the the BlackBook quote to have more 'weight' because it was on the dealer's site)

Buying Workflow looked like this:
  1. Dealer Selection: the dealer with the best selection and the best reviews is noticeably better than the competitors, so, he mentally prepares for the 1 dealer close.
  2. Considers CR/TC 'real price' quote (from this dealer) to be his fixed, pre-negotiated price (this takes one variable off his plate and reduces his anxiety)
  3. Negotiates trade (they meet at BB's valuation)
  4. F&I: Buys OEM financing & a 100k wrapper.
  5. Spot delivered quickly.

Demo: White male, married, mid 50's, white collar, owns home, always owns 2 cars. Highly comfortable with all things technical.
*note: he noted that didn't like how TC's asking for contact info early in the research

#4). Digital Retailing
The day prior to the sale, my brother is stressing over time and schedules. He knows what he wants, the store he's going to buy it at. He's got a pre-arranged price from Consumer Reports/TrueCar. He's got a Black Book tradein value he likes. It's the end of the month and he's got to find a way to get it all done.

IS THERE A BETTER DIGITAL RETAILING CANDIDATE? Nope.
So I ask him, if you could buy it online right now, would you? He instantly answers "No... we haven't seen it yet. We haven't test driven it yet, what if I don't like the dealer?"

#BAM. There it is...
The benefits of a 'stress free ecommerce experience' are inferior to the benefits a dealer visit creates.

Thanks for providing all that insight!

Are there any aspects of the buying process that he wishes he was able to complete online that he wasn't able to?

With all that he did prior to visiting, how long was he at the store for? How did that compare with his expectations? How did he feel about that?

TY Craig.

Compare my brothers car buying story to the data presented and they line up very often.

Are you looking for this one?

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ney-Report-2014.pdf+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

They also have the following:

The Digital Influence: HOW ONLINE RESEARCH PUTS AUTO SHOPPERS IN CONTROL
http://dealers.cars.com/assets/pdf/auto_marketing_digital_influence_study.pdf

Unrelated to Cars.come but much more recent:

2016 CAR BUYER JOURNEY
http://dealerlearningcenter.com/files/insights/pdf/2016CarBuyerJourneyStudyBrochureFINAL.pdf

and their other report with a few ethnographic summaries:

Car Buyer of the Future - March 2015
http://oemsolutions.agameautotrader...yer-of-the-Future_NAS-Client-Presentation.pdf

there any aspects of the buying process that he wishes he was able to complete online that he wasn't able to?

It was interesting that when I presented this idea to him, he was fully researched and committed to car and dealer... but he'd never driven this car, he needed to get a final price for his trade. Plus, he needed to approve of the dealer.

From his perspective, he had to many open questions, so prefilling out any paper work at home gave him no advantages.