• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

BDC Manager Pay Plans

I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas for BDC manager pay plans? I'm looking for a performance based plan with a 60-100k potential managing a department of 5-8 (a to z) handling around 500 leads per month. Any ideas out there?
30k base , with 5% override on each sales person , not more than 25% between em all.
May get up there depending on your volume. but will attract a High Caliper Manager.
Thoughts?

Sales or Service -- same idea, need to build the pay plan for what you believe the department is lacking.

No appointments? Pay on appointments. No show appointments, pay on shown appointments.

Also need to take into account "leads" -- are they in control of lead source? have any input on quality of leads? is an inbound phone call considered a lead?

I also like throwing in a small %% of the sales/service department net/gross profit (same line the manager gets paid on)

Do you have 15 minutes to spare to contribute to the question about BDC Manager Pay Plans?

First: I'm biased. I believe BDC is a huge opportunity that is probably under utilized by many car dealerships. That said, I really like the suggestions in the second article which seems to recognize the value proposition the same way I do and offers a way for a skilled BDC manager to earn a great income.

Second: How much do dealerships pay to outsource BDC work? Does it work for you? Is the cost too high, or too low?

I looked at Alex's spreadsheed and just read these two articles and would love comments from anyone knowledgeable on the subject:

You’re Firing the Wrong People! - Reconsidering the BDC (6 minute read)

THE FIVE ABSOLUTE “MUSTS” FOR A SUCCESSFUL AUTOMOTIVE SALES BDC (7 minute read)

The ultimate questions:
Can a BDC manager make $120-150k? Should they?
What would a BDC manager need to do at your dealership to justify that level of income?

@Generic Salesperson - even though I run a startup business and there aren't many of us on the DealerRefresh staff, I'm a big fan of focusing people on the things their skillsets/talents are good at. For businesses that have the budget, a call center, inside sales team, or dealership BDC are for folks who prefer to sit at a desk, fire off GOOD emails, and talk on the phone.

In a dealership, salespeople traditionally don't want to sit at a desk or talk on the phone. They like floor-ups and making car deals. BDCs like nurturing leads and generating appointments. In my opinion, every dealership can benefit from focusing people on tasks that appeal to their skillsets.

$120K+ depends on the marketplace.