• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Dealer.com is driving me nuts, what is the best alternative?

Nicolas Hesson

Green Pea
Nov 28, 2017
First Name
Nicolas
Since being in the car business, I've always been stuck with Dealer.com. My biggest issue with them is that it takes FOREVER to get an update done to the website. Even if I do the coding myself, it takes forever for them to add one. And besides the fact they want to charge you for every little thing from videos to a blog and the worst part is the software is TERRIBLE. Wordpress is FREE and it is superior.

Is anyone out there using a website provider that is amazing? That perhaps has REAL web designers there? And a site that I can customize on my own at any time?

If i wanted to replace a logo on dealer.com, i have to submit it as a support ticket... how silly is that?

I would love anyone's feeback on this.

Since being in the car business, I've always been stuck with Dealer.com. My biggest issue with them is that it takes FOREVER to get an update done to the website. Even if I do the coding myself, it takes forever for them to add one. And besides the fact they want to charge you for every little thing from videos to a blog and the worst part is the software is TERRIBLE. Wordpress is FREE and it is superior.

Is anyone out there using a website provider that is amazing? That perhaps has REAL web designers there? And a site that I can customize on my own at any time?

If i wanted to replace a logo on dealer.com, i have to submit it as a support ticket... how silly is that?

I would love anyone's feeback on this.

That doesn't sound right, I would be frustrated too. Ask your rep for all the admin permissions and page editing options to be enabled. Also if you know javascript and css ask for advanced composer, it might be a co-op option via FCA too. I've used DDC for 5 years, I can change nearly anything on the website in real-time.

That doesn't sound right, I would be frustrated too. Ask your rep for all the admin permissions and page editing options to be enabled. Also if you know javascript and css ask for advanced composer, it might be a co-op option via FCA too. I've used DDC for 5 years, I can change nearly anything on the website in real-time.

@mikesayre :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

He needs Advance Composer! Would make a world of difference for him and his overall experience using the site tools.

Reactions: mikesayre
I spoke with my rep at Dealer.com and she is refusing to give us access to Advanced Composer. Claims they don't give out access to Advanced Composer... I have 15+ years developing websites... this is a huge frustration. UGHHH Anyone have a connection at DC that can hook me up?

I got a response back from Dealer.com:

"I completely understand that you have a large amount of experience – quite a few dealers do – which is why we are trying to work towards giving Advanced Composer access in the future.

At this time, however, it is not available for clients on the FCA Canada program."

I just don't understand how that even makes sense. Any suggestions?

@Rick Buffkin

Remember that you may have a different version of the DDC website than other dealers. I work for a company that competes with DDC so I want to disclose that and that by no means I'm bringing it as a negative thing but just a fact for a company that large that may have different OEM platforms, areas, etc in different roll out stages.

@Nicolas Hesson

I would love to say that "my platform is so much better you would love it" but I also have a BS in Computer Science and... if you truly know how to code there will be no platform that will make you happy, period. That doesn't mean you shouldn't push to get a better system from DDC or someone else.

I got a response back from Dealer.com:

"I completely understand that you have a large amount of experience – quite a few dealers do – which is why we are trying to work towards giving Advanced Composer access in the future.

At this time, however, it is not available for clients on the FCA Canada program."

I just don't understand how that even makes sense. Any suggestions?

Former Dealer.com...errr...Dealertrack...errr...Cox employee here...

Manufacturer programs mandate certain styles and accesses. This is compounded outside of the United States. Even though Dealer.com has the ability to provide a way for you to control just about everything outside of the DNS Dealer.com isn't always the provider of the service you are receiving. Check your accounting.... who are you paying? Is it FCA or another agency? Whoever it is, you should talk to representatives there.

And I agree it sucks when you're handcuffed. It ain't Dealer.com who is handcuffing you though.

Does anyone have any suggestions? My job is to increase conversion on the website, and I can't exactly do that when I am restricted to accessing the code for changes. We all know the biggest problem with dealership websites is converting ON the VDP page, but I can't fix this is I don't have access to manipulate it. grrrrr