• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Leaving Dealer.com in 2018....where did you go next?

John V.

Boss
Jan 15, 2015
Awards
First Name
John
If there is a recent post similar to this one I apologize - feel free to reply with the link to that thread and I'll shut up and go away :)

Hello All,

This post could get real long so I am going to try and keep it as brief as possible. Our group has been with Dealer.com for 8+ years and it may be time for a change. Top 3 points I am with them and Top 3 why I want to leave.

Here is why I am currently with them .....still:
  • Website Editor: been using it for 8 years, its very intuitive and lets me build content the way I want to. All my sites' homepages and extra content (except for the group site which is essentially just a fancy landing page) were built by me in their composer - did not have to rely heavily on their production team. Click, drag, drop, done.
  • Mobile Specific Content: went to another vendor that was 100% responsive and hated it. Could not put mobile specific content above my VLPs, Homepage, etc. Also could not build a page the way I wanted it wand was stuck using 75/25 splits, could not rearrange content on mobile specifically the way I wanted. "I want the form here dammit!!"...nope...It was a mess and a I came back to DDC.
  • Back-end tool: their Control Center is very in depth and easy to use. 90% of any issue I have or question I need answered I can figure out myself using one of the tools in Control Center. Only call support when I need an inventory specific change for the most part.
Why I want to leave.....:
  • Advertising: took about 3 years but I finally have access to all my Adwords accounts including those on Shift Digital OEM programs. Their SEM is so hamstrung by being tied to their TCD tool that you are limited to running Max CPC campaigns only. No enhanced CPC, no maximize ROAS or conversions, nothing. I find that I have to monitor how my account is running on a daily basis or else I will under-spend, the used jeep wrangler I have in stock eats $300 over the weekend, I'm spending 3X the CPC that I should be on a model I only have 1 of, oh....and my ad copy keeps reverting back to the same default crap everyone else has. I pay a management fee because......??
  • Being told NO: I hate it. Plain and simple. When I asked to have a particular model widget link to inventory instead of a showroom page I was told no - expected functionality. Took 3 months to get done after canceling one site for 90 days. When I wanted my homepage and mobile site to look a particular way. Nope.......except i was able to build it in composer myself and then have DEV fix a few things. It's a website, anything is possible if you really want to try.
  • SEO: Their SEO is basic. Nothing fancy. Nothing advanced. Their SEO team could not build a conversion friendly landing page to save their life. No thought goes into the strategy at all, no market research, no competitive analysis. Just rinse and repeat. I am on Premium SEO for two of my stores and am with a local vendor who's fees are 1/4 that of DDC. Same organic growth YOY.
So, for those who have been with Dealer.com for a long time and left for someone else in the last 12 months: Who did you go with and why?

• Useful
Reactions: Alexander Lau
There are a bunch of threads in this dB that show great examples of quality web hosting platforms. I don't have the time to go through all of that again, but make sure to use Google to search for them. Something is up with the search mechanism here.

I could sit through 45 minute demos with a bunch of other web providers but am looking for some suggests for those who have recently left Dealer.com - if they are out there.

I could sit through 45 minute demos with a bunch of other web providers but am looking for some suggests for those who have recently left Dealer.com - if they are out there.
Well, I'll hazard a guess that most that've left DDC have jumped into the Dealer Inspire @joe.chura world. Now that Cars.com owns them there is probably a greater understanding on how your Cars.com inventory performs, etc. Dealer On, Dealer Fire and fusionZone also offer decent platforms. I'd also suggest using https://vicimus.com/glovebox/ from our very own @craigh. The aforementioned are a cut above the rest. I don't care how many hacks tell you differently.

Last edited:
Reactions: craigh
Well, I'll hazard a guess that most that have left DDC and then jumped into the Dealer Inspire @joe.chura world. Now that Cars.com owns them there is probably a greater understanding on how your Cars.com inventory performs, etc. Dealer On, Dealer Fire and fusionZone also offer decent platforms. I'd also suggest using https://vicimus.com/glovebox/ from our very own @craigh. The aforementioned are a cut above the rest. I don't care how many hacks tell you differently.
Thank you for the suggestions.
Was on The FusionZone Platform before. The back end tool and lack of mobile customization was a deal breaker. Also was not a fan of living and dying by the Best Price button.

Reactions: Alexander Lau