• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Tesla Reality Check?

Audi goes after Tesla Supercharger V3: 'sustained power beats top power' - Electrek
https://electrek.co/2019/05/15/audi-vs-tesla-supercharger-v3/

Tesla-audi-charge-rate-comparison-1-e1557897148309.jpg

Except if you go to the source website and pull the data it only goes back to March '19, which is when the first vehicles arrived to port but weren't even delivered yet.

I don't know about any of you - but I see more and more Tesla's every day. For a company that *doesn't advertise* I think that's a pretty strong signal.

That piece in Forbes was short on actual data - just words trying to support a headline.

Except if you go to the source website and pull the data it only goes back to March '19, which is when the first vehicles arrived to port but weren't even delivered yet.

I don't know about any of you - but I see more and more Tesla's every day. For a company that *doesn't advertise* I think that's a pretty strong signal.

That piece in Forbes was short on actual data - just words trying to support a headline.
I see your point on delivery dates within China, but it looks like a demand problem still exists.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/15/18213953/teslas-moder-3-new-costumers-europe-china

Meanwhile... sounds like a lot of excuses and lack of data from them, themselves.

(Tesla says it does not break out sales by country or region and would not comment on the reported January sales figures. It described the report about the cuts to the delivery team as “not accurate” in a statement, adding that call center employees at the location in question are still scheduling deliveries. Musk also said offering leases on the Model 3 — something it doesn’t currently do — would be another way to boost demand, but added he’s hesitant because it could make the company’s financials look worse.)

Meanwhile, Tesla hasn’t provided concrete information about the number of reservations it’s taken so far in China and Europe. In response to a question from Goldman Sachs earlier this month, Musk said there’s “absolutely” more demand beyond the reported 20,000 orders already placed in Europe and the “single digit thousands” in China.

:thinker:

The claim that they "don't advertise" is a misleading concept.
They don't run "ads" but they spend loads of money promoting their cars, including a referral program, paid press releases, high production demo videos, events, sponsorships, etc. Cutting out traditional ads doesn't seem all that significant in 2019.

• Useful
Reactions: Alexander Lau
I see your point on delivery dates within China, but it looks like a demand problem still exists.

I think overall the demand for the 3 has softened a bit (in the US) because those that wanted one and could afford it ordered one. They've probably delivered most of their backlog to US customers so doing the right hand drive and opening to other markets I think is keeping demand above their capacity.

Model S demand I think softened quite a bit as the dash and some of the tech is dated compared to the 3. The long range improvements I think will be a temporary bump until they roll out the new interior refresh, which I think is going to be jaw dropping. And the people that can afford that will probably buy it.

The Model 3 is still too expensive right now to reach that critical mass point. Which is probably a good thing because their parts, service, and body repair can't handle even their current fleet.