• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
I don't think most understand the difference between A.I. and machine learning.

Trying not to split hairs here, but "Machine Learning" is a subset of AI, so is a machine following a workflow. That is called "encoded knowledge" or "expert systems."

I am putting on a webinar this afternoon for our partner JD Power and wanted to share a few slides and comments from the presentation here. This is as good of a place to start as any. ;)
9OdRVBD

9OdRVBD - Imgur.jpg

This may help dealers to visualize the subsets of AI.
4FftZcF

4FftZcF - Imgur.png

As an example, the WAY OVERSIMPLIFIED difference between "encoded knowledge" and "machine learning" in terms of a workflow looks like this. With encoded knowledge, you have to, ahem, encode the knowledge... the machine will do exactly as you programmed it and "simulates intelligence," but it won't learn from its successes or mistakes, it does it the same way until you reprogram the machine. ML, on the other hand, starts with a starting point and the desired outcome. Through tons of data and attempts, the machine quite literally learns and adjusts its approach along the way to improve its ability to achieve the desired result.
I2kkf7Y

I2kkf7Y - Imgur.png

If you are free this afternoon and interested in the application of ML and Machine Vision in the appraisal process please feel free to register for this webinar. Full disclosure, this is NOT a purely educational webinar by design, due to the target audience it features and focuses on a single solution we developed with JD Power and will feel more like a demo in parts.
https://www.carstory.ai/marketvalues/

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: john.quinn
Trying not to split hairs here, but "Machine Learning" is a subset of AI, so is a machine following a workflow. That is called "encoded knowledge" or "expert systems."

I am putting on a webinar this afternoon for our partner JD Power and wanted to share a few slides and comments from the presentation here. This is as good of a place to start as any. ;)
9OdRVBD

This may help dealers to visualize the subsets of AI.
4FftZcF

As an example, the WAY OVERSIMPLIFIED difference between "encoded knowledge" and "machine learning" in terms of a workflow looks like this. With encoded knowledge, you have to, ahem, encode the knowledge... the machine will do exactly as you programmed it and "simulates intelligence," but it won't learn from its successes or mistakes, it does it the same way until you reprogram the machine. ML, on the other hand, starts with a starting point and the desired outcome. Through tons of data and attempts, the machine quite literally learns and adjusts its approach along the way to improve its ability to achieve the desired result.
I2kkf7Y

If you are free this afternoon and interested in the application of ML and Machine Vision in the appraisal process please feel free to register for this webinar. Full disclosure, this is NOT a purely educational webinar by design, due to the target audience it features and focuses on a single solution we developed with JD Power and will feel more like a demo in parts.

Right, good examples. I keep seeing articles on the misunderstanding of it all and then there's Deep Learning.

Here's a decent article on it:
Artificial Intelligence (AI) vs. Machine Learning vs. Deep Learning | Skymind
https://skymind.ai/wiki/ai-vs-machine-learning-vs-deep-learning

:thumbup: Ryan. I'm going to point a few automotive vendors' marketing departments at this so they can learn WTF A.I. actually is .....jk :rofl:

I shared your Scooby meme with my data science team @Alex Snyder. They got a good laugh out of that. Then they started talking about Neural Networks and I went back to what I was doing... ;)

Mind if I share your cartoon on that webinar today? I'll give you and the community here a mention obviously.

I shared your Scooby meme with my data science team @Alex Snyder. They got a good laugh out of that. Then they started talking about Neural Networks and I went back to what I was doing... ;)

Mind if I share your cartoon on that webinar today? I'll give you and the community here a mention obviously.

You, of all people, never have to ask permission to use DealerRefresh content. You’re as DR as I am!

Reactions: john.quinn
Almost... every 5 years or so, product managers run out of ideas and decide to take another stab at attribution. I would continue your timeline:

2019: A.I.
2018: Digital Retailing
2017: Attribution
2012: Attribution
2007: Attribution
2002: Attribution
1997: Attribution

Look for attribution's next round of start-ups coming to an NADA near you in 2022, featuring, of course, A.I. :tiphat:
And if I hear another automotive, non-techie, chickie account executive use the term "algorithm," knowing damn well they have no idea how their proprietary code functions, I'm going to lose my shit.

"Our algorithm figures it out for you... yay, so like... cool right?!" Meanwhile, they have no fucking clue how their tool works behind the scenes. Embarrassing.

You, of all people, never have to ask permission to use DealerRefresh content. You’re as DR as I am!

Shoot... still waiting on my DR branded purple tie and Jorts! ;)

I'm proud to have been a part of this community and really, truly, am grateful for the knowledge that has been shared and the friendships that I've made here along the way. I really do have Refresh to thank for many of the opportunities I've been given, and infinitely more than that, for the genuine care my family and I received during an impossible time in our lives. I will never be able to completely express my gratitude for those moments and memories.

I'd imagine that other industries have similar communities, but I'm sure that there is nothing like Refresh anywhere else in automotive.