• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Apple vs. Facebook & Google

Alex Snyder

President Skroob
Staff member
May 1, 2006
Awards
First Name
Alex
If you are not aware, a war is brewing because Apple is removing functionality from its operating systems. The claim is to protect consumer privacy as too many apps are utilizing consumer data for nefarious purposes. Apple sticks to advertising, but one must wonder what else may be going on.

In Q4 2020 earnings call Facebook just had, Zuck attacked Apple as their greatest threat and competition. And Apple is now threatening Google by saying they are going to remove them from the list of choosable search engines for Safari users.

One things is for sure, advertising is going to get more complicated. Dealer Authority had a thread about Apple's iOS 14 update.

As much as I am against "advertising is going to get more complicated", I am also a consumer that uses a VPN, Mozilla's Facebook container, an Android phone with a VPN, etc. The real threat here is the level of tracking that Google and Facebook continue to do - I think they're right to start blatantly calling each other out.

That said, Safari removing Google as a search option just ensures that everyone installs mobile Chrome, Brave or Firefox on their iPhone.

As much as I am against "advertising is going to get more complicated", I am also a consumer that uses a VPN, Mozilla's Facebook container, an Android phone with a VPN, etc. The real threat here is the level of tracking that Google and Facebook continue to do - I think they're right to start blatantly calling each other out.

That said, Safari removing Google as a search option just ensures that everyone installs mobile Chrome, Brave or Firefox on their iPhone.

Apple Is Building Its Own Search Engine To Rival Google Search​

https://www.techworm.net/2020/10/apple-search-engine-rival-google.html

Financial Times said:
Apple is stepping up efforts to develop its own search technology as US antitrust authorities threaten multibillion-dollar payments that Google makes to secure prime placement of its engine on the iPhone.

Reactions: Jim K

I'm a religious Bing user lol
I'm not here to say it works well, but they give me Microsoft Reward points to use it and Google gives me sweet F all, so M$ won this round.

A large part of my strategy is distributed data too - my Macbook I use Chrome, my Windows laptop I use Brave and my Desktop uses Firefox.
I try not to connect all my stuff together, which should at least help make my data useless.

Somehow, through all my precautions, Facebook still has me nailed:

1612886650445.png

I'm a religious Bing user lol
I'm not here to say it works well, but they give me Microsoft Reward points to use it and Google gives me sweet F all, so M$ won this round.

A large part of my strategy is distributed data too - my Macbook I use Chrome, my Windows laptop I use Brave and my Desktop uses Firefox.
I try not to connect all my stuff together, which should at least help make my data useless.

Somehow, through all my precautions, Facebook still has me nailed:

View attachment 5337
If you use the same network for any of these devices, you are connected.

Reactions: AdamMurray
That's what the VPN is for.
PrivateInternetAccess has no logs and has a long list of countries to choose from. Different country on every device guarantees no overlap.

View attachment 5338

Missed that part, unless, of course, the devices were ever on the same network.

Reminds me, I need to throw up a VPN, and see if I can access my BTC wallet, that is no longer accessible via US servers lol

Reactions: craigh

"Tim Cook May Have Just Ended Facebook - Looks like it's no more Mr. Nice Guy."

As much as this makes for great headlines and drama, I don't believe for a second Apple is squeaky clean and is not engineering multiple ways to monetize user behavior and data. The search engine you mention is a good example, Alex .

Reactions: Alex Snyder