Ninjas Why it is Time to Stop Ignoring Vendors

Holly_phoneninjas

Green Pea
Apr 8, 2022
First Name
Holly

Why it’s Time to Stop Ignoring Vendors

I get it: sales calls are annoying. They are intrusive and constant, so why is it time to stop ignoring them? Because vendors are highly trained and are up to date on current tech and trends. It never hurts to learn what your competition is doing or how you can improve upon your business. And even though they are trying to sell you something, that something will more than likely save you money in the long run and therefore will help you meet your goals. It’s time to take the call.

How do you know you have found a good vendor?

How can you be sure you have found a good vendor? They will listen to your needs. A good vendor is there to provide a solution to your problem and will give you the opportunity to talk about your issues. Essentially, a good vendor is a good listener that finds a way to make your life easier. The relationship should not feel transactional. Save that for the drug store. This relationship is built on trust and will be mutually beneficial to both the client and the vendor.

Flexibility is key

Not only is a good vendor there to solve a current pain, but they should also be there for the long term and have your business goals in mind. They will help you achieve your goals by adding new tech and more efficient methods of doing business. When interviewing them to become your partner, there are several key factors to listen for:

Flexibility: while this is harder on the vendor but it is key to a long-term relationship

Accountable: what is their promise of delivering results? Quarterly updates or monthly updates?

Communication: Are they honest about what they can and cannot do?

Experts: What is their experience in your vertical?

Finding a great vendor is an excellent way to help grow your business. They have the latest tech and trends to help you achieve your goals quickly and more efficiently. They are also going to be a long-term partner and will make it their goal to help you achieve greater success.

Attachments

• NicoleMarcilinoheadshots-93.jpg
    NicoleMarcilinoheadshots-93.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 4
If you can find a vendor that successfully made it in your respective industry, did well (and did good), is knowledgeable and had some proof of results then that’s someone to partner with.
You mean someone who was fired from a dealership and is now a vendor isn’t the one to work with?

Why it’s Time to Stop Ignoring Vendors

I get it: sales calls are annoying. They are intrusive and constant, so why is it time to stop ignoring them? Because vendors are highly trained and are up to date on current tech and trends. It never hurts to learn what your competition is doing or how you can improve upon your business. And even though they are trying to sell you something, that something will more than likely save you money in the long run and therefore will help you meet your goals. It’s time to take the call.

How do you know you have found a good vendor?

How can you be sure you have found a good vendor? They will listen to your needs. A good vendor is there to provide a solution to your problem and will give you the opportunity to talk about your issues. Essentially, a good vendor is a good listener that finds a way to make your life easier. The relationship should not feel transactional. Save that for the drug store. This relationship is built on trust and will be mutually beneficial to both the client and the vendor.

Flexibility is key

Not only is a good vendor there to solve a current pain, but they should also be there for the long term and have your business goals in mind. They will help you achieve your goals by adding new tech and more efficient methods of doing business. When interviewing them to become your partner, there are several key factors to listen for:

View attachment 5895Flexibility: while this is harder on the vendor but it is key to a long-term relationship

Accountable: what is their promise of delivering results? Quarterly updates or monthly updates?

Communication: Are they honest about what they can and cannot do?

Experts: What is their experience in your vertical?

Finding a great vendor is an excellent way to help grow your business. They have the latest tech and trends to help you achieve your goals quickly and more efficiently. They are also going to be a long-term partner and will make it their goal to help you achieve greater success.
This is such an important point! You want your vendors to make your life easier, so why not listen to what they have to say and give them the chance to work for you!

Reactions: zlieberman
Why Dealers Ignore Vendors

If I took the time to answer every vendor phone call and email I would never be able to get any work done. That would cost me far more car sales than I'd maybe gain by signing up with a vendor that cold calls me.

Times that I don't ignore vendors:
  • When someone I respect recommends them and I feel it may be a good match for me to consider
  • When their marketing or premise completely intrigues me into wanting to learn more
  • Trade shows like NADA - can knock through a bunch of vendors all at once and meet with high-level reps that are more knowledgeable than the average cold caller

A little background - I work for alot of stores. Most the the GMs just send calls/emails my way. Some receptionists have my cell number and transfer calls to me if you call and ask for "marketing". Due to the number of stores, I can say with 100% certainty that I get more calls and emails than your normal marketing/internet manager at a car dealer.

Just a few pet peeves, and why I sometimes do ignore the vendor calls/emails...

-- I am a background guy - if you are a vendor calling me I will look you (and your product) up on LinkedIn, google, etc etc. Can we please spellcheck your profiles, have them be updated, and remove (or make private) the video of you drunk dancing on the bar top from last weekend. I am not a prude by any means... but come on! 1st Impressions!

-- If you are a 3 month new salesperson calling me to pitch me a product with no background experience in automotive - it is going to be a hard conversation. Bring your 'A' game, or maybe your manager?

-- If you are vendor that relies on a 20 page PowerPoint - it is going to be a hard conversation. You need to be fluid and agile when pitching.

-- If I reply and ok a 9am meeting, and you send me a meeting invite for 9am EST - you did wrong. Know your customer and where they are located.

-- If you reach out to me with a gmail, hotmail, or other address - saying you have the latest and greatest, you lost already, or are probably a reseller/whitelabel of something.

-- If you say you are a friend of so and so, or that so and so referred you to me -- I am probably going to call/text them. Don't name drop if you don't know what they really think about you.

-- I don't care about a $25 gift card. Is that all you got? $200 and we may be talking.

-- If you are calling me the first 5 days, or last 5 days of the month - you probably don't know the car business.

Last edited:
A little background - I work for alot of stores. Most the the GMs just send calls/emails my way. Some receptionists have my cell number and transfer calls to me if you call and ask for "marketing". Due to the number of stores, I can say with 100% certainty that I get more calls and emails than your normal marketing/internet manager at a car dealer.

Just a few pet peeves, and why I sometimes do ignore then vender calls/emails...

-- I am a background guy - if you are a vender calling me I will look you (and your product) up on LinkedIn, google, etc etc. Can we please spellcheck your profiles, have them be updated, and remove (or make private) the video of you drunk dancing on the bar top from last weekend. I am not a prude by any means... but come on! 1st Impressions!

-- If you are a 3 month new salesperson calling me to pitch me a product with no background experience in automotive - it is going to be a hard conversation. Bring your 'A' game, or maybe your manager?

-- If you are vender that relies on a 20 page PowerPoint - it is going to be a hard conversation. You need to be fluid and agile when pitching.

-- If I reply and ok a 9am meeting, and you send me a meeting invite for 9am EST - you did wrong. Know your customer and where they are located.

-- If you reach out to me with a gmail, hotmail, or other address - saying you have the latest and greatest, you lost already, or are probably a reseller/whitelabel of something.

-- If you say you are a friend of so and so, or that so and so referred you to me -- I am probably going to call/text them. Don't name drop if you don't know what they really think about you.

-- I don't care about a $25 gift card. Is that all you got? $200 and we may be talking.

-- If you are calling me the first 5 days, or last 5 days of the month - you probably don't know the car business.
Spell check your profiles is key, also, Vendor :poke:

Reactions: craigh
Also, don't call in, ask for me, tell the person answering, "Christian knows what I am calling about."

I do not know what you are calling about.

I do know that after that call, I won't be using your company.

Just happened this week.

Just a few pet peeves, and why I sometimes do ignore the vendor calls/emails...

-- I am a background guy - if you are a vendor calling me I will look you (and your product) up on LinkedIn, google, etc etc. Can we please spellcheck your profiles, have them be updated, and remove (or make private) the video of you drunk dancing on the bar top from last weekend. I am not a prude by any means... but come on! 1st Impressions!

-- If you are vendor that relies on a 20 page PowerPoint - it is going to be a hard conversation. You need to be fluid and agile when pitching.

All of this plus:

Poking holes in our current product/partnership. If your cold call/email starts off with poking holes, you better be sure your current clients don't have these same problems. Most of the time they do, and most of the time I'll find it.