• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

CarFax Car Values and their NEW Price Calculator

Ok, so who has seen this BS CarFax NEW Price Calculator?

CarFax - what are you thinking? Could you slice your own throat any deeper?

CarFax decides to take it upon themselves to determine how a CarFax history report "should" effect the price of your inventory.

Why even go there? Stick to your core product - History Reports NOT Pricing!!

What do you guys/ladies think of this??

carfax_value.jpg

Matt - there are many instances where a car is valued higher by CarFax. In that case, it does help, but the question has nothing to do with positive or negative values. I have three questions:

1. Why is CarFax dictating Used Car values at all?
2. How are they coming up with these numbers?
3. How can they launch something like this without giving all of their dealer customers a heads-up? If they did give us a heads-up then they didn't make it loud enough. This has been quite surprising.

dc875d69-230f-4fdd-9b46-6214d149ed5e

Accident Report ? Lets ad $30.00 ... Got 2 Owners ? Lets deduct $250.00.

Last edited:
I want to play devils advocate here.... (and I may or may not agree with what I post...lol)

This feature is a closing tool and really hurts nobody smart enough to use it that way...

Lets say it says a vehicle is worth $350.00 less than book value.

How does that hurt you at all?

Unless you own the vehicle for way too much $$$ it is not going to hurt to sell the vehicle for $350 under a book value that does not even exist.

I think this was implemented as a closing tool to get people into a buying mindset and out of a shopping mindset. It assures them it is a safe bet and a good deal to purchase that vehicle for $x.xx +/- "book value".