• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

2 Industry Trainers - 2 Opposing Views - Which do you agree with?

Leave a message. 2 calls on Day One o=if you haven't reached them.

I agree the second call can come from a cell provided it is an ISM making the call, and not a BDC.

But you must have an actual phone strategy like we train, so their is a reason for the call better than the antiquated "great news" tactic.

Reactions: MannyLuna
Later in the process where you are calling every other day or once a week I would leave a message every time, but if I called this morning when the lead came in and got their voice mail and left a message then called back again tonight and got the voice mail again I wouldn't leave the second voice mail. So I guess I should have checked both boxes because I think it depends on where you are in the process.

Reactions: MannyLuna
I was on Elise Kephart's DealerOn webinar today.
When calling an internet prospect who has submitted an inquiry (lead)
  • Elise says with your second phone call - you should call from your cell phone & hang up without leaving a message.
  • David says you should not hangup without leaving a voice mail.
Minor point, BUT I wouldn't consider either one a strategy; they are simply tactics. I think good salespeople are always ready to use whatever tactic fits the situation as long as the tactic works within the overall strategy.

Last edited:
I have 34 voicemails on my phone. Most of them not important, probably will get deleted as opposed to listened to. If I want to talk to someone I'll call them back, or wait for them to call again. Voicemail to me is not a connection. Something like 90%+ connection ratio on a text message.

However, I hate when my work or co-workers call and don't leave a voicemail....especially if it's my day off or I'm away from the store. Then I try and call them back and no one knows why they called or who called me.

If I call in the morning and get a voicemail, I'll try again later that day but will leave a 2nd voicemail stating "Jared again at ABC Motors trying to reach out and make sure you got all the information needed to make the best buying decision possible. I'm heading out of the office at XYZ so if I do not hear back I will attempt again tomorrow to. Have a great night and I look forward to speaking with you soon."

Yes I stole a bit of this from Elise Kephart.. but I also used the training I got from David Kain. :)

I never return calls from a phone number I don't know, especially if no message was left.

Same here. I also answer my phone maybe 2% of the time because Vermont has some horrid reception (especially where I live) and I don't carry my phone as much as I used to. If you aren't someone I know, and didn't leave a COMPELLING voicemail, you're not getting a call back.

Last edited:
Vermont is like a third world country?
...with lot's of kale!
bilde