• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

2 Industry Trainers - 2 Opposing Views - Which do you agree with?

We had a CRM that allows you to push a button, the CRM calls you, then connects you with the prospect. On the caller ID it would show the rep's name and not the dealership's. We had a pretty good call back rate for our female reps from male prospects.

Elise is great and has a lot of awesome ideas. However, in this case I wonder if Elise's success using her cell phone was because of the technique or because males may be inclined to wonder who Elise is.

Wait.. so some dealership's leave more than one message for a customer?
What is the idea here? Maybe they didn't get the first one? Top of mind awareness? Piss them off?

That seems absurd. Voicemails aren't baseball - you get one swing at it; make it count.

Reactions: MannyLuna
Wait.. so some dealership's leave more than one message for a customer?
What is the idea here? Maybe they didn't get the first one? Top of mind awareness? Piss them off?

That seems absurd. Voicemails aren't baseball - you get one swing at it; make it count.

So you're saying I shouldn't leave more than one voice mail during the course of following up with a customer? I'd need to borrow everyone who has posted on this thread & then some's fingers & toes to count the number of times I've called a customer & left several voice mails, only to call them and amazing! They pick up! I set an appointment, they show up & buy a car.

Craig do you (or have you) ever worked in a dealership? After a customer leaves (without buying a car) do you tell your sales people to only call them one time? If you did -- you probably wouldn't have a job in that dealership.

There's a myriad reasons why you would call a customer multiple times.... I think it all goes back to having a voice mail strategy.... but that's just my opinion.

I've called a customer & left several voice mails, only to call them and amazing! They pick up! I set an appointment, they show up & buy a car.

I don't think I'm getting this straight.. so the customer ignores several voice mail messages (meaning they didn't work) and then they finally answer and you make an appointment?

Doesn't this just prove that the voicemails aren't working?
I'm not saying you can't call multiple times, just don't leave multiple messages.

I'm not saying you can't call multiple times, just don't leave multiple messages.

I disagree - as long as you're not (like most people) saying the same exact voice mail every single time - why not leave multiple messages? The only thing you proved is that people without a voice mail strategy don't get call backs.... those of us who do have a strategy - do get calls back.

I will never never never never intentionally just hang up on a customer without leaving a voice mail message.

Reactions: Jeff Kershner
I disagree - as long as you're not (like most people) saying the same exact voice mail every single time - why not leave multiple messages? The only thing you proved is that people without a voice mail strategy don't get call backs.... those of us who do have a strategy - do get calls back.

I will never never never never intentionally just hang up on a customer without leaving a voice mail message.

I still think I'm missing something.
I'd like to see hard numbers on the fact. Your example wasn't a callback, so I think that's why I'm not sold yet.

If you have numbers, I'm a data nut and that would help clarify big time.

I still think I'm missing something.
I'd like to see hard numbers on the fact. Your example wasn't a callback, so I think that's why I'm not sold yet.

If you have numbers, I'm a data nut and that would help clarify big time.

You might be surprised to see this fluctuate across regions AND the make/customer type you're selling. There is no ONE answer to this. #overthinkingit

Last edited: