• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

another one bites the dust...

Don't worry, as the big dogs like DearTrack, AutoTrader, et al snap up innovate companies like eCarlist, others, like VIN Viper will continue to fill that gap as independent providers.

It's pretty safe to assume that eCarlist will be there to support DearTrack's antiquated systems - which leaves plenty of room for smaller, nimble companies to offer dealers what they need. To say they will fill a support role, and help transition DealerTrack away from Laser Appraiser, is an understatement.

We just launched the Android and later this year we will far surpass anything eCarlist ever had on their white board. Stay tuned - we've got some slick stuff up our sleeves :)

Jason Seligman
President - VIN Viper

Jason,

I do not believe we've had the chance to meet. I appreciate your opinions, and of course, you should express them freely anytime.

First, the eCarList team is fully intact. Our direction, innovation, and growth has only been enhanced by our uniting with DealerTrack. I have taken on the role of Chief Product Officer with DealerTrack. In this role, I am directly involved with product direction and development. The only difference from a few months ago - we have a lot more resources and I am singularly focused on innovation.

As Joe Pistell described above, the technical needs of dealers is becoming more complicated everyday. I believe it will be increasingly difficult for a smaller company with a narrow product offering to provide long-term value in this industry. Dealers are demanding tight integration across multiple disciplines in the organization. Many products that dealers were willing to pay for earlier this year will simply become "features" in the complete platform the larger players will provide. It's about workflow. One system that tells the complete story for the dealer. One system that reacts to the different roles of its users.

I'll leave it at that. Also, not sure who's whiteboard you saw - mine is quite full. :)

Here's a sneak peak of our first major software release under the new DealerTrack eCarList banner. AutoInk - hopefully this will demonstrate our commitment to innovation, products with purpose, and solid workflow for our clients.

Len,

If my post came across offensive I definitely apologize.

Just as you did in your reply, helping to disseminate current information about current products is an ongoing, sometimes uphill battle.

I don’t believe I insinuated, however, that the eCarlist team wasn’t intact and any guess to how easy and quickly DealerTrack and eCarlist merge technologies would be like throwing darts at a board – which is what I proffered as an opinion. Thank you for responding and clarifying, though.

We think eCarlist is a great product and one of the mobile products in the space like VIN Viper with a solid foundation. The future of mobility will evolve quickly and I know sometimes the frustrations in merging say “newer†technology with “current†systems – which can eat up time when we want to spend it on developing newer features rather than supporting integration.

eCarlist and DealerTrack are poised to go in any number of directions, with considerable resources at your disposal - my opinion, right or wrong, was just that.

You and the crew at eCarlist have done a wonderful job creating some exciting features and I’m sure that will continue to be your road map. My comment about the white board was in jest, sorry :)

I look forward to meeting you at the next convention.

Sincerely,
Jason Seligman
VIN Viper