• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Breaking Up with a Vendor...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Kershner

Founder
Staff member
May 1, 2005
Awards
First Name
Jeff
I had to “break up” with a vendor recently.

The recipient of the “Dear Jane” call... she sounded quite attractive. By the end of the call, I was ready to say, “No, baby…listen: It’s not you, it’s me.”

She was very knowledgeable on her product and had a very pleasant voice! Maybe she a has a face for radio, who knows. But when I hung up, I thought – Damn! Breaking up with a vendor, that shouldn’t have been so hard to do!

In this business, we all know that "good phone" can get you far. You draw more bees with honey, right? But sometimes you have to break ties with a vendor. For whatever reason, it happens. This particular call had me questioning - “Is it better or worse when they give good phone?”

When was the last time you had a difficult time breaking up with a vendor?

• Dislike
Reactions: Patrick A Ruster
It isn't easy to find a vendor that can separate themselves from the crowd when it comes to giving phone.

I think that what clouds our judgement more than anything is the fact that even BAD phone is great. It just escalates to unreal, phenomenal, and mind blowing from there.

Wait a second, what are we talking about?

Seriously, what bothers me about leaving a vendor is when my rep is really good at what they do. I have had a few reps that I literally couldn't ask any more from. It was just a situation in which their product just wasn't working for me. Those are the vendors that I hate cutting off.

image.jpeg
Let me first say how much I value the auto industry information posted on this site. The forums and insight always make for great conversation when discussing my marketing strategy. Let me also say how excited I am you posted this! I was under the impression you were an intelligent business man (wait, do they actually exists?) and I looked forward to reading your thoughts! However, I was fooled and you're now unfollowed. Not by one person but several. I didn't see your post first, it was shared on a company email thread by offended people in the industry who work for large companies. Companies that, like me, valued your words and would share them with others. Companies that give you a JOB and something to write about.

I think you're over-reacting a bit here... I, as a female, have worked, clawed and fought my way to where I am now. Asking for (and sometimes demanding) what I deserve.

When presenting ideals, I always allow my personality to shine through and 9 times out of 10, will use charm and whatever guile necessary.

If someone wants to call it "giving good phone", so be it. We work in the automotive sales industry for goodness' sake. Every now and again, a not-so-appropriate joke is GOING to surface. That's one of the things I love about what I do.

I don't have some fancy shmancy advertising degree like you do, but promise to vote for Hilary if you lighten up a bit.

@Tallcool1 got the idea here. Jeff's true question to all genders was this: "When your vendors are professional and kind, is it difficult to part ways?"

View attachment 3081

I think you're over-reacting a bit here... I, as a female, have worked, clawed and fought my way to where I am now. Asking for (and sometimes demanding) what I deserve.

When presenting ideals, I always allow my personality to shine through and 9 times out of 10, will use charm and whatever guile necessary.

If someone wants to call it "giving good phone", so be it. We work in the automotive sales industry for goodness' sake. Every now and again, a not-so-appropriate joke is GOING to surface. That's one of the things I love about what I do.

I don't have some fancy shmancy advertising degree like you do, but promise to vote for Hilary if you lighten up a bit.

@Tallcool1 got the idea here. Jeff's true question to all genders was this: "When your vendors are professional and kind, is it difficult to part ways?"

THANK YOU!!! The awkward silence was absolutely KILLING ME! Holy shit, I can finally breathe again.

All clear guys! @Chandra Dickson made everything better!

:oops:

I can't believe I missed this rollercoaster thread. Wow.
I can't even..

The answer to the question though, from my perspective, is that it's much harder when they're good on the phone.
I recently had to break up with a vendor also, and she was very good on the phone.
My simple solution to her "awww.. why are you leaving us?" attitude was to offer her a job :D

Reactions: BradyFerron
Status
Not open for further replies.