• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

TAKE POLL Cars.com VS AutoTrader VS CarGurus

CarGurus - they have really taken over the market of used cars.
  • User Friendly
  • Massive Advertising Appeal - Targeted Advertising if you subscribe to the terms.
  • Tons of Information for both Sellers and Buyers. Market value, days on market, etc.
  • Can be Mobile friendly for customers, for dealers it's a little bit of a hassle.
Cars.com and AutoTrader seem to generate less leads for us. AutoTrader, in my opinion doesn't have a user friendly mobile design which hurts lead generation.

Reactions: Jeff Kershner
Cars.com VS AutoTrader.com VS CarGurus.com

If you had to choose only ONE. Which would it be, and why?

CarGurus.

Because it's the one that drives the most calls and leads - and that we can tell actually helps sells cars.

Personally, I like the market evaluation tool on their vehicles and the fact I can display those value in my website.

If we are talking a $ to value rating, it has to be CarGurus. Just cost alone destroys the competition. Especially when you can reallocate the cost that goes into Cars.com/AT.com. I evaluate over 15 dealers monthly and CarGurus is constantly at the top of click to call leads and usually is within 5-20 form submission leads every month while being thousands less per month.

The email that customers get with similar vehicles is not awesome for dealers. But I think CarGurus will leverage that in no time as Cars.com has already done this with some dealers.

I fortunately use all three plus Carfax. I always refer to auditing your vehicle listings, are they correct?..Equipment standard/optional?.. Exterior/Interior colors?.. Price to Market, is it realistic?.. Comments, Comments, Comments.. are your comments accurate and well written?.. You see, if an internet manager is simply riding a lazy used car managers poor marketing choices than failure is inevitable.

Monthly reporting of all my 3rd parties shows me that I am getting my moneys worth. I run reports for all leads, showroom visits etc.. My guys (along with me) make sure to ask customers where they found the vehicle, a good honest approach not just trying to fill in a blank on a buyers order.

My point is, if you measure lead results only by submitted online leads and they seem weak well you may need to audit your merchandising and fix some issues that exist, its a monthly (if not weekly) job.. This simple measure will make or break results which ultimately effects a potential lead from just showing up (unannounced). Yes, the hysteria that dealers have is false.. people still find a car online and they are still willing to drive to the dealership and check it out.

If your income is based on cradle to grave internet leads only or by appointment setting, you absolutely need to understand the importance of a well put together vehicle listing. If you are working for a used car mgr that does not care, does not understand or refuses to adopt a sound process than you need to speak with the owner and let him know that the thousands and thousand of dollars are being wasted.

Cargurus is without a doubt outperforming Cars and Trader but we are strong on all three sites and sales results justify the expense month in and month out.

CarGurus - they have really taken over the market of used cars.
  • User Friendly
  • Massive Advertising Appeal - Targeted Advertising if you subscribe to the terms.
  • Tons of Information for both Sellers and Buyers. Market value, days on market, etc.
  • Can be Mobile friendly for customers, for dealers it's a little bit of a hassle.
Cars.com and AutoTrader seem to generate less leads for us. AutoTrader, in my opinion doesn't have a user friendly mobile design which hurts lead generation.

For MBH, it's been a solid tie between Cars.com and Cargurus. From phone calls, to leads, and shows. We do spend less with CG but our gosses are a bit higher with Cars.com. I also LOVE the fact that we have an easier opportunity to garner more reviews on Cars.com - something I take very serious.

Cars.com VS AutoTrader.com VS CarGurus.com

If you had to choose only ONE. Which would it be, and why?

Hi Jeff. would you want to publish a report on this blog that shows all dealers in the US and what classifieds they advertise on?
I have a sample report for California dealers showing if the dealer is independent / franchise and if they use Autotrader or Cars.com that I will email you. We can add any other classifieds (Like Cargurus, Craigs list etc.) and additional States to this report.

Reactions: Jeff Kershner